Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Tesla, Wireless Radio  (Read 471 times)
KE6AEE

Ignore
« on: April 21, 2008, 11:24:32 AM »

I was looking in the upcomming event calender on the homepage of e-Ham, and noticed that there is an upcomming Internal Marconi day on April 26, 2008.  Not trying to get them to change anything or put a kabash on their event.  Im even hoping to make a contact and receive one of their special event cards.  Having said that I beleive it is a historical fact that Nikola Tesla was given credit for the "Wireless Radio".  Over the years it's amazing how many young new Hams still beleive Marconi is essentially the father of our hobby.
I was wondering how many Hams today beleive Tesla is the creator of "Wireless Radio".

KE6AEE
WW5AA

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2008, 09:42:22 AM »

Did Columbus discover America? (:-)

73 de Lindy
G1YHE

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: April 23, 2008, 10:19:01 PM »

An "internal" Marconi celebration !!

Is this a medical event?

:}

N8UZE

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: April 27, 2008, 06:14:59 AM »

As with so many other fields, the man who made it commercially useful and publicized it (Marconi in this case) is the one who gets remembered.
VE3LXL

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: April 29, 2008, 01:44:34 PM »

Personally I think that both Marconi and Tesla deserve credit for inventing wireless communication.

It is certainly true that Tesla had built working models of radio transmitters and receivers before Marconi even began working on radio, and it is true that Tesla understood the essence of a radio communication system before Marconi got started. I think it was as early as 1893 that Tesla had already worked out a system that used an antenna in the air and an earth ground connected to a circuit consisting of a coil and a capacitor in parallel, a circuit that would be resonant at a single RF frequency. It took Marconi years before he reached that point.

Tesla got there early because he actually devised this as part of a series of experiments investigating resonance. He was working at first with mechanical resonance and then started looking into how to make an electrically resonant circuit. So he worked out the principle of a tuned resonant circuit first and only then discovered that, as a byproduct of this, he could generate wireless signals.

But Tesla's precedence notwithstanding, I still think that Marconi deserves much of the credit for the development of radio. Because it was Marconi that actually turned radio from a subject of laboratory study into a practical technology for communication. All of our wireless communication today traces its origin to Marconi's work at developing radio into a practical technology. So I think both of them deserve to be called the fathers of radio.
W8NSI

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: June 02, 2008, 10:29:39 AM »

I have an idea...

Lets have 'em arm wrestle for the honors, 2 out of 3.

If one doesn't show the other gets it by default.

A century (give or take a few years) later... WHO CARES!

;^)

73 de w8nsi/nnn0uzw jim
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: