Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: How many American hams are in their call area?  (Read 933 times)
WB2WIK

Ignore
« on: January 25, 2008, 08:55:52 PM »

Funny stuff.

I just spent an hour working the CQ 160m contest and a quick observation was that a lot of people aren't in the call area of their callsign.  Including me.

Just worked

KB7Q in CA
W8JI in GA
W2VJN in OR
WA2MNO in MN
K9MUG in AL
K2EK in FL
K8FC in CO
W6XI in AZ
N3ZZ in CA...

and on and on it goes.

I think at this point, about 50% of all active hams are someplace their callsign doesn't indicate.  Including me.

Is this good or bad?  I'm not sure.  I didn't change my call after I moved because I've had it all my life, longer than I've had anything else except my internal organs and the callsign is likely aging better than those.

What do you think-?

WB2WIK/6

N3BIF

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2008, 09:15:21 PM »

They way call signs are administered allows for one to safely make a single assumption, that being that the station is properly licensed. As you know you used to be able to surmise a stations region as well as licensing time frame. You simply cant make any assumptions anymore.  
N3OX

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2008, 10:13:46 PM »

"Is this good or bad? I'm not sure"

I'm not sure either.

I think if I end up permanently outside of W3 somewhere and will probably *not* change my call if I do just because I like it and I like having a 1x2... and they're getting scarce.  

The vanity program and frequent moves are going to hash up the callsign districts more and more... some hams are going to want their initials in their call more than they care about the number.  I've seen vanity applications that show that clearly, I'd just apply for W0DSZ through W9DSZ, N0DSZ through N9DSZ...

There *is* something to be said for knowing where people are roughly by their call in such a big country, for sure, but I'm not sure I'd want to get stuck with something like AI7HH if I decide to live in the Pac NW... N3OX/7 (testing propagation?) sounds better to me.   There's a practical aspect to my call choice, it was lot better than N3UMH was for CW DX from an apartment!

So for a few reasons, I think it's overall a positive thing that people get to keep their calls when they move, but even so, I'm going to feel a little weird if I settle outside of W3.

We'll get used to it, but I think it's going to be an adjustment even for me, and I was licensed in '95!

Dan

Dan
http://www.n3ox.net

Monkey/silicon cyborg, beeping at rocks since 1995.
ONAIR

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: January 25, 2008, 11:47:20 PM »

If the price of heating oil and natural gas keeps on going up, a lot of the hams in the northern states may start heading south, so this could become even more frequent.
W3LK

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: January 26, 2008, 06:48:55 AM »

<< but even so, I'm going to feel a little weird if I settle outside of W3. >>

Yup. I have retired in 1-land and sometimes feel a little "isolated", but I'll get over it. I have no plans to change my call sign - W1LK is already taken.

They already know from the way I talk that I'm "not from around here" and my call sign just proves it. Smiley

Lon - W3LK
Naugatuck, Connecticut

A smoking section in a restaurant makes as much sense as a peeing section in a swimming pool.
K7PEH

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: January 26, 2008, 08:57:03 AM »

I am K7PEH (vanity of my initials) in 7-land and I live in Washington state which is very much a 7 kind of state.  When I applied for my vanity, I had my choice of W7PEH or K7PEH, both were available.  But, I think that the 7-region has the least available 1x2 or 2x1 call signs even though they are rare everywhere -- in fact, I don't think any exist you just have to wait for someone to QRTP or alternatively, QRIP.
W7IBI

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: January 26, 2008, 04:10:05 PM »

I moved to AZ from VA a couple of years ago and struggled very briefly with "should I change". I have always liked the sandwich suffix, and it was available on the 7-land vanity list. So I settled on just changing the prefix. Still easy on CW, and I like representing AZ on the air.
So I for one am again in my call area.
N4KZ

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: January 26, 2008, 07:43:56 PM »

Like most anything else, people have to get used to change. People now accept that many U.S. hams don't have calls that reflect their call areas of residence. But that wasn't always the case.

In 1988, I took a job in Indiana -- one I knew would not keep me there permanently -- so I kept my 4-land call. I knew I would eventually return to 4-land, which I did just two years later. (Heck, I only lived a mile north of the Ohio River while there so I was always in the shadow of 4-land anyway.) But I remember being seriously chewed out one night on 75m SSB by a VE3 station upset by the fact I lived in 9-land but had a 4-land call. At first I ignored his comments but he kept bringing it back up so I finally told him I was sorry that I had made him turn his 75m beam to the wrong area and I realized how upsetting that must be. He finally shut up about it then.

Besides moving and retaining their calls, a lot of hams here in 4-land have applied for calls from other areas because all the 4th call area 1x2 and 2x1 calls are exhausted. There must be a ton of W1, K1 and N1 1x2 calls in 4-land. There's something comical about hearing someone with a thick southern dialect shouting their W1 call in a 20m pile-up! Not making fun or criticizing anyone because the FCC regs permit this but it's just a sometimes humorous slice of ham life.

73, N4KZ
N3OX

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: January 26, 2008, 09:32:09 PM »

"I finally told him I was sorry that I had made him turn his 75m beam to the wrong area "

Heheheh

Dan
http://www.n3ox.net

Monkey/silicon cyborg, beeping at rocks since 1995.
N0RZT

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: January 27, 2008, 07:16:31 AM »

Good morning,

Personally, I've operated outside my call area longer than I've operated inside my call area.  Picked up my license in '92 as an undergrad - but college was in 9-land.  In '93 I moved from one corner of 0-land (Missouri) to the opposite corner (North Dakota).  Since '97, three different places in 8-land.  I'll move this summer again - if I were a betting man, I'd bet 4-land (maybe 3-land, maybe 5-land, maybe reciprocal-agreement-land).

When I eventually settle down, I might be tempted to get an in-area vanity... but it'd have to be somehow related to my sequential call of these many years.

Chris
N0RZT/8
WB2WIK

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: January 27, 2008, 05:39:25 PM »

I also never changed my call, it's been with me since I was 13 years old, and that will be 43 years ago later this year.

:-)

However, the U.S. is one of the few countries that allows one to change call areas without changing callsigns, and I can understand why the DX gets confused.

I hear Pacific Island stations looking to work "DX" and calling "W2s," and that's my turn to answer them.  I know they're disappointed when they hear I'm in California.  The opposite for the EU and AF stations who call for W2s and when I answer them and they find I'm in CA, they're very surprised and sometimes delighted, because I'm 3000 miles farther away than what they were looking for.

No easy solution to this!

WB2WIK/6
an ex-pat in L.A.
NS5M

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: January 28, 2008, 11:03:38 AM »

I live in, and have a 5-land call & don't know what I'd do if I were to move to another call area. The exception might be if I were to move to NJ or NY for the fun of applying for my original Novice call (WV2SWA - later WA2SWA, probably dating myself vis-a-vis WIK).

That said, I have a pending application for a new 1x2 in 5-land as I've learned that my current call is too easy to bust.

For myself, I like the idea of my call reflecting my area, but don't really have an issue with others suiting themselves. Well, maybe a little bit with the KH6 in Texas and the KL7 in Montana ...

Jim
NS5M
KI9A

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: February 04, 2008, 04:46:53 PM »

I guess I am old school. You should be required to sign with a /portable if you are not in your district.

So, if was operating in Missouri, and my station license is in Illinois, I should have to sign KI9A/0.

73-Chuck KI9A in Illinois...9th call area.
N2BIX

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: February 07, 2008, 12:37:00 PM »

I am 100% with you Chuck. I don't want to see anyone have to change their call which they had for years but requiring a / with the call area you are REALLY IN would be a great idea. This way if i decide to move to Fla. My call would be N2BIX/4. Same identity but CORRECT CALL AREA. Certainly would help getting the Beam pointed straight!LOL
W8NSI

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: June 02, 2008, 10:51:55 AM »

I am in my call area.

73 de w8nsi jim

73 de w8nsi/nnn0uzw jim
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: