Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Dump plastic and go with PayPal?  (Read 568 times)
WA8MEA

Ignore
« on: June 08, 2008, 11:42:15 AM »

I am SERIOUSLY thinking of dumping my credit card services for my little ham radio business.  The fees are outrageous and just continue to escalate.

Any and all feedback would be appreciated.

73, Bill
« Last Edit: December 22, 2010, 01:39:23 PM by Bill Lauterbach » Logged
N8FGB

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: June 08, 2008, 12:48:04 PM »

http://www.paypalsucks.com/
N4CQR

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: June 08, 2008, 02:44:21 PM »

I have owned a small refrigeration buiness for the last 25 years; serving 8 counties. Not a week goes by that some credit card company calls wanting me to accept credit cards. In reality I get a call (during lunch) about 3 times a week. Fifty percent are automated voice messages.

Several small business I service, that sells tangable items like, electronics and automotive parts has just about droped credit card acceptance due to charge backs.

I accept checks only. I have received 2 bad checks since I have been in business. Then again, if you seen my customer base you would understand why.

Paypal for the on-line vendor may well be a route to go. However, right now I have a bug up my ass with eBay and they own PayPal. You may be putting your eggs in a fragile basket..

Hell, in a few years we'll be a cashless society, dependant on others, to be able to sustain normal life....

Small private business like mine and many others is on the way out the door. You will eventually have to adhear to new financial payment standards or lock the doors. And those at the decision making level don't really give a damn which you choose..

Craig N4CQR

NS5U

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: June 09, 2008, 07:19:13 PM »

You really need to review the Paypal user agreement.  I always prefer to use their service as a buyer.  If I am not completely satisfied I can hang a seller out to dry six ways to Sunday but an unscrupulous buyer can use that power to abuse the seller.  I don't accept Paypal for that very reason.  They hold all the cards and have the arbitrary ability to handle your funds as they decide.  You agree to abide by arbitration which must take place in Santa Barbara Ca. or someplace in Nebraska.  They can hold funds in your bank account which they can draft directly or your credit card.  The First Data advertizing on that site wasn't always there and the site had origins in reality.  Read the fine print and you will see you have no protections as a seller.  They also specifically prohibit a surcharge by sellers for accepting credit cards.  Read the fine print.  
N2UGB

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: June 10, 2008, 10:21:53 AM »

No Pay-Pal for me, thank you. The big three dealers have no problems with my credit card. Smaller ones, too. I do very little purchasing from unknown vendors and none from e-Bay.
AA4PB

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: June 11, 2008, 10:35:25 AM »

I'd say it all depends on how much business you do. If you are very small I don't see how you can afford to pay annual setup fees for the credit card companies. In that case it is a benefit to use PayPal for on-line transactions. If you do enough business you may find that the annual per-transaction PayPal fees add up to more than the annual credit card fee.

KE5UVL

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: June 19, 2008, 11:55:28 PM »

A good indication is how many people use Paypal vs Credit on your sites processing.

Whenever I find a site that allows paypal payment types -- I USE IT!

Want to know why? It's easier to remember my E-Mail address and password than my Credit Card details.

After all, my Paypal is just linked to my credit card anyways.

N1UK

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: June 22, 2008, 12:59:26 PM »

Yes Paypal arbitration is a joke. Don't rely on them to do the right thing. As a buyer I always use my credit card whenever possible as my card company have always done the right thing by me in any disputes unlike Paypal who I have no trust in at all.
W3LK

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: June 22, 2008, 02:36:01 PM »

I pay by Pay-Pal only when  I have no other option and I'm buying something I can't get anywhere else.

Lon - W3LK
Naugatuck, Connecticut

A smoking section in a restaurant makes as much sense as a peeing section in a swimming pool.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: