Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Amplify Am Signal  (Read 881 times)
N2LWE

Ignore
« on: July 12, 2008, 06:58:48 PM »

Can anyone tell me if there is a way to amplify the signal on AM broadcasts. I like to listen to the ball game on my Yeasu VX-5 HT but cannot receive the signal on my HT or very very poorly. The signal is broadcast from NY and I'm about an hour away, so I can receive it in my car but not on the HT. I thought I saw something somewhere regarding a device that can be attached to the HT to increase the signal.
KB9CRY

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: July 13, 2008, 03:48:56 AM »

a device that can be attached to the HT to increase the signal.

It's called a Yagi beam antenna.
WT0A

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: July 13, 2008, 05:55:35 AM »

A yagi for, say, 640 kHz would be a mite tough to pack around. How about a ferrite rod antenna?
Glen
W3LK

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: July 13, 2008, 06:38:56 AM »

It's not only the antenna, it's the sensitivity of any HT on the AM broadcast band. BCB coverage on an HT is a marketing ploy. It's only useful on local stations, if then.

Same deal for SW coverage on HT's.

With all due respect, if you want to listen to the ball game, get a portable BCB receiver.

Lon - W3LK
Naugatuck, Connecticut

A smoking section in a restaurant makes as much sense as a peeing section in a swimming pool.
N2LWE

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: July 13, 2008, 06:48:45 AM »

I know this sounded alittle far fetched and I do listen on other radios. I just enjoy taking my VX-5 outside with me and flip around from 2m's and 440 to SW and so on. It would be nice if I could use this little radio for the ball games too. Thanks for the feedback.
N4CQR

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: July 13, 2008, 08:30:25 AM »

Joe, This may be too much baggage for you but here is an idea. See if someone locally has a C. Crane Twin Coil Ferite Antenna you can barrow. It CAN be connected to the radio with little effort.

Or, as Phil suggested get yourself a Yagi beam antenna tuned for 640kHz. LOL.

[It's called a Yagi beam antenna.]
N4CQR

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: July 13, 2008, 08:30:25 AM »

Joe, This may be too much baggage for you but here is an idea. See if someone locally has a C. Crane Twin Coil Ferite Antenna you can barrow. It CAN be connected to the radio with little effort.

Or, as Phil suggested get yourself a Yagi beam antenna tuned for 640kHz. LOL.

[It's called a Yagi beam antenna.]
N8EKT

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: July 13, 2008, 08:39:38 AM »

Forget using the VX-5 and use a $5 AM/FM radio.

It's already equipped with a ferrite bar antenna and is DESIGNED to receive AM Broadcast.

If you want some REAL powerful reception on the AM broadcast band, buy a "Select-A-Tenna" model 541.

Best $49 you will ever spend and will turn ANY AM broadcast radio with a ferrite bar antenna into the
hottest receiver on the market.

Or better yet, build one.

Little more than a few turns of copper wire and a variable capacitor.

N2LWE

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: July 13, 2008, 11:31:48 AM »

That defeats my purpose. The whole idea was not forgeting the VX-5. Thats what this topic was about. Maybe I'll use the antenna others suggested.
WB2WIK

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: July 13, 2008, 11:42:56 AM »

If it makes you feel any better, your VX-5 is probably working just fine.

Mine's crappy on AM broadcast, too.

Not only a poor receiver, but a poor noise limiter as well -- makes ignition noise and other "static" sources drown out the BC signals pretty badly, compared with the excellent limiting circuits of a car radio.

WB2WIK/6
N2LWE

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: July 13, 2008, 05:20:32 PM »

Yeah, it is working just fine and I've never had any problems with it. Its all because I live too far from where the station broadcasts and to receive it on the HT's antenna just doesn't cut it with the AM broadcasts. I listen to FM broadcasts just fine in my area but the ball games are on AM and thats another story. Actually I can't wait for the new Yaesu VX-8. Although I may run into the same problem with AM that radio can receive FM at the same time while listening to 2m and 440.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: