Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: other than ebay where to buy used ham gear  (Read 761 times)
WR1U

Ignore
« on: July 15, 2008, 09:01:29 PM »

I am wondering if there are any good sites to look for used ham gear other than ebay.  I know about qrz and eham but are there any other popular ones?  Thanks.  Gary/WR1U
KE4DRN

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: July 15, 2008, 09:50:48 PM »

hi gary,

www.qth.com  

Scott has a nice site but like any for sale sites,
watch out for the scams.

the classifieds here on eham.net

73 james
N4CQR

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: July 16, 2008, 06:01:07 AM »

Ditto the above. Good experence for me. eHam has been good too.

Also, www.craigslist.com is worth looking into. Although mostly area specific, you do find some good deals if you are patient. A lot of people have left eBay for a multitude of reasoans. So they are selling stuff in some unusual places.

Hope you find what you are looking for.

73 Craig
W3LK

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: July 16, 2008, 07:10:57 AM »

AES

Lon - W3LK
Naugatuck, Connecticut

A smoking section in a restaurant makes as much sense as a peeing section in a swimming pool.
K7UNZ

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: July 16, 2008, 07:19:58 AM »

Hi Gary....

You might also want to check out some of the major ham store web sites.  Most (HRO, Burghardt, The Ham Station, AES, etc.) also deal in used gear, usually with some kind of warranty as well.  Plus, you know who you're dealing with (hi).

73, Jim/k7unz

WB2WIK

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: July 16, 2008, 08:42:28 AM »

I'd say "anywhere other than eBay" is a very good start.

Besides the places mentioned, I've found the best equipment and the best deals at local swap meets and hamventions; in the local newspapers (usually under "ELECTRONIC MISC HI FI COMPUTER" or some category like that), the local Recycler and Trader magazines (found at 7-11, etc) and even local garage sales.

Garage sales are especially useful for test equipment, which is obviously more common than ham equipment.  My signal generators, spectrum analyzer, two oscilloscopes, high-end AC VTVM and other items came from local garage sales where engineers from local labs were disposing of their treasures after retiring and getting ready to move away from the area.

WB2WIK/6
N4CQR

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: July 16, 2008, 10:26:16 AM »

Fear of the unknown or bad experence?

Steve said: I'd say "anywhere other than eBay" is a very good start.
WR1U

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: July 16, 2008, 01:28:42 PM »

Thanks for all the suggestions.  I am looking there.  I am saving for a Kenwood Ts-2000.  I don't know if I want to buy used or new but looking for a good deal from a good source.  I'm not ready yet only about $600 saved so far but soon i hope.  
WB2WIK

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: July 16, 2008, 01:53:32 PM »

>RE: other than ebay where to buy used ham gear       Reply
by N4CQR on July 16, 2008    Mail this to a friend!
Fear of the unknown or bad experence?<

::Actually, nothing but bad experience!  I've made four eBay purchases and every one was disappointing, nothing like description...from sellers with 99% to 100% positive ratings.

I decided not to bother in the future.  There isn't anything I need so badly I can't find it locally.

WB2WIK/6
N4CQR

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: July 16, 2008, 03:47:25 PM »

Sorry to hear, Steve. But I understand completely. Take care and best 73

Craig N4CQR
AC2Q

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: July 17, 2008, 06:59:07 AM »

I would do a google search for what you are looking for, I just purchased a Ten Tec Pegasus I found on the listings of the Colorado Repeater Association swaplist, located through a Google search for "Ten Tec Pegasus" I am in Illinois.

Actually it was "Ten Tec" pegasus -ebay

definately add the -ebay  

I also agree with the statement that you can find great deals at a Hamfest. I even fond things I DIDN'T KNOW I needed, until I saw them =0)

The big issue with buying something off of ebay is that there is always someone out there with more dollars than sense, better deals to be had with fixed price sales like qth.com eham.net and hamfests.

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: