Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Retailer in NYC  (Read 723 times)
G8UBJ

Ignore
« on: July 15, 2008, 07:54:03 AM »

I thought I would go shopping next time work takes me to  New York. The offices are up at 825 7th Avenue.
Is there anywhere nearby or failing that any shop in the city (I can always catch a cab).
73 Rex G8UBJ
WB2WIK

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: July 15, 2008, 07:57:59 AM »

I don't know if Barry Electronics (downtown) is still around or not...I don't see them doing any advertising, so I suspect not.

Not far from midtown Manhattan is KJI Electronics in NJ:

http://www.kjielectronics.com/location/dir.shtml

Might be a pricey taxi ride, though.

WB2WIK/6
G8UBJ

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: July 15, 2008, 08:12:06 AM »

Okay,
Well I will call them before I set out ... thats one to try, thanks..
G8UBJ

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: July 15, 2008, 08:25:04 AM »

But I will be flying out of JFK so something towards Long Island would be easier..
WB2YZX

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: July 15, 2008, 11:30:10 AM »

Barry Electronics went SK only recently. You can't purchase ham gear anywhwere in NYC.
K2YO

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: July 15, 2008, 03:01:25 PM »

Nothing on Long Island either.
WB2WIK

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: July 15, 2008, 08:55:55 PM »

I think probably KJI Electronics in NJ is the "closest" ham dealer to JFK Airport.
KE4DRN

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: July 15, 2008, 09:56:27 PM »

hi Rex,

with the exchange rate these days, the cab ride
will still save you some money !

not sure what the customs fees will be if any.

or you can order from the other big dealers in us,
they may ship it to your office for you to take home.

73 james
G8UBJ

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: July 16, 2008, 06:09:19 AM »

Okay,
Thanks for the information. I sort of fancied the idea of a shop visit and may make the trip out. Its a shame but I nearly swung a trip to Lexington which would have given me the use of a car... that one fell through..
I am usually on a tight schedule so I will probably order the equipment and have it delivered to the office.
I must say its surprising that there aren't any outlets... I have a couple of big suppliers only 30 minutes drive from my QTH in West London...
K3YD

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: July 16, 2008, 06:52:32 AM »

NY City has an 8.25% or 8.5% sales tax.  Some nearby states (Delaware, New Hampshire)have no sales tax. The tax burden, in combination with high overhead costs in the city (i.e. rent) make it difficult for a city dealer to compete on price for a commodity such as a Brand I-K-Y transceiver.  With good, inexpensive overnight delivery available I can understand the demise of NYC dealers.

WB2WIK

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: July 16, 2008, 10:00:46 AM »

Maybe that's it, but Los Angeles has an 8.25% sales tax and we have HRO in Burbank, HRO in Anaheim, HRO in San Diego, Jun's in Culver City...I can drive to three different dealers within 40 mins of here.

Maybe the difference is everybody here has a car and in NYC not everyone does; and even "visiting" can be problematic due to parking issues.  I know a lot of visitors who don't understand NYC get frustrated and just circle around looking for a place to put their car -- don't find anything obvious, and drive away.  In L.A. any store has parking, usually right in front of it, or right behind it.

WB2WIK/6
WB2FTX

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: July 16, 2008, 11:11:50 AM »

Sad but true about no NYC ham dealer. KJI electronics in Caldwell NJ is good but call before you go since he is not open at all times.

Following up on the post about no sales tax, if you have the time you might consider a 2 or 3 hour trip to Ham Radio Outlet in Delaware.. Don't know if the savings on tax would be worth the cost in gasoline

73 Dave WB2FTX
K2YO

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: July 16, 2008, 08:39:28 PM »

It doesn't hurt that CA has 3 or 4 times the number of hams as NY, hahahaha.

The place you want to get it Las Angeles. As previously stated, there are 4 major ham stores in easy driving distance.

Bernie
G8UBJ

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: July 17, 2008, 06:02:32 AM »

Interesting, 8% would be enough to kill the business. Its any wonder why most of the place is full of shops selling junk at exorbitant prices. We have 17.5%tax here but that over the whole of Europe (Not just one country or region). Still the prices are almost 50% more for some Yaesu big ticket items. With customs and shipping I break even on imports but bringing it in and declaring is a saving..
N3DF

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: July 18, 2008, 10:33:38 AM »

When I was a ham in high school in the the 1960s, the NYC area had Arrow, Barry, two Harrison stores, a Heathkit store and several Lafayette Radio stores (which carried a full line of ham gear).  

Prior to construction of the World Trade Center, that area was a gold mine of surplus electronics useful for conversion or building projects.

Neil N3DF

Neil N3DF
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: