Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: David Clark Headsets  (Read 1157 times)
VA3CGT

Ignore
« on: July 19, 2008, 06:35:38 AM »

Hi, All

For years I've been told that David Clark headsets won't work with ham radio equipment. If you want them to work you will need "impedance matching equipment" an "amplifier" for the mic and numerous other adapters and plugs to get it working.

So I just bought a new pair of David Clark's H10-20 with the M-7A microphone because I'm going for my recreational pilots license. I have a Icom IC-A6 air band radio. So I checked the ext mic voltage on the A6 and found it to be 5 volts DC. The instructions claim a GA headset will work, but other reviews state that the M-7A needs 8-16 volts to operate?? So I plugged in the Clark's to the A6 and they work fine. How is this possible? So I bought an adapter (CT-96) cable for my Yaesu VX-170 and VX-177, plugged in the Clark's and the PTT switch won't work, however if I pull back on the mic cable from the adapter of the headsets the radio will transmit and the mic works great, very nice audio when received on another radio.

So they will work off of 5 volts supplied by the radio. However adapters are not readily available to link David Clark's to ham radio equipment so home brew cables have to be made. So I'll be tinkering around with the wiring in the adapter so that the PTT switch will work. My next project will be to make an adapter to link my David Clarks to my FT-897D.

'73
VA3CGT

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: July 19, 2008, 02:28:34 PM »

UPDATE;

I went to our local aviation shop and bought a different adapter PTT switch and, WOW! The switch works flawlessly, no mods required. My Yaesu VX-170 & 177 work fine with the David Clark's without any mods. Who said you can't use David Clark's on ham radio equipment!

'73!
N3JQD

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: July 19, 2008, 06:50:05 PM »

You sure can.  I've spoken with hams in the past that have David Clarks in use.  In fact, I'm a pilot and recommend avaiation headsets to any ham.  Reason 1: they're comfortable over a long period of use.  Reason 2: they offer great "passive attenuation".  I use my Lightspeed 2020 active noise cancellation headset whenever I need to pick out weak signals.
Keep flying and hamming. 73 Bob N3JQD
KL7AJ

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: July 30, 2008, 12:49:22 PM »

David Clark headsets are pretty forgiving.  They were designed, back in the dark ages, for working off telephone talk voltage.  The voltage is quite non-critical.

Eric
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: