Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Affects of Nuclear Testing on Skywave propogation  (Read 453 times)
KI4FAR

Ignore
« on: August 25, 2008, 08:06:30 AM »

Has anyone ever read anything reagarding the effect that nuclear teating and the impact on skywave propogation?

I am thinking that it would cause ionization of the 'D' layer and inhibit HF communications similar to a sudden ionospheric disturbance.

KI4FAR
CW2HRD

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: August 25, 2008, 01:04:33 PM »

No atmospheric nuclear or thermonuclear testing has taken place for many decades.  They used to do it back in the 50's and 60's, but not anymore.  Occasional underground tests are conducted, but these probably have no effect on ionospheric propagation.
WW5AA

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: August 25, 2008, 02:10:11 PM »

...And actually ionization of the 'D' layer is what sunspots do.

73 de Lindy
K8GU

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: August 25, 2008, 04:54:37 PM »

Some below-ground tests do create effects like a geomagnetic substorm.  I know I've seen an article on that somewhere.  There is a lot of scientific literature on this subject.  You'd probably have to go to a university library (which is easier said than done, depending on where you live) to be able to find the most rigorous information.  There's a fair bit of misinformation on the web when it comes to this sort of thing.  
KI4FAR

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: August 27, 2008, 09:46:39 AM »

Do you know of any other countries that do perform above and below ground nuclear tests? -e.g. Russia, China, etc...
KI4FAR

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: August 27, 2008, 09:51:06 AM »

I'm closest to UNC-Charlotte, but a drive to NC State wouldn't be too bad.  Georgia Tech could be an option too.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: