Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: OK to mix coax?  (Read 382 times)
KA1EUI

Ignore
« on: September 01, 2008, 04:18:49 AM »

Good morning.  I have spent the weekend adding antennas to my tower.  I now have an HF TH11DX beam, a 10 element VHF vertically polarized 2 meter beam, a 10 element horizontally polarized 2 meter beam and a Diamond V2000 2 meter/440/6 meter ground plane on top.

I have ExtraFlex coax that I purchased from Radio Works coming off of all of those antennas.  They are up on the tower about 65 feet.  

I have enough Extraflex to run one run into the shack.  I also have a lot of LMR400 that I can run into the house for the other antennas.  Both of these coax's are very good.  I see no trouble mixing the ExtraFlex and the LMR400 for HF work ...do you?  My question is...how would you guys do it.  Would you use the extra EXtraFlex to run the V2000?   Or would you use it for one of the VHF Beams.....

any suggestions are appreciate!
Thanks
Jim KA1EUI
K7UNZ

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: September 01, 2008, 09:26:17 AM »

Hi Jim...

Well, to me it's just a matter of which of those VHF/UHF antennas you want to perform the best.  That's the one that gets the coax with the least loss (hi).

BUT, since you already have a bundle wrapped-up in that antenna tree, why not consider a remote antenna switch, with the relay box at the tower, where you already have the multiple feed lines.  Then you would only have the single run to the shack.

Just a suggestion....

73, Jim/k7unz

K9KJM

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: September 02, 2008, 12:59:36 AM »

For most all HF use, Type and length of coax feedline is very unimportant.

For VHF and UHF, The lowest loss coax available, And the shortest run possible is none too good.......
(With Times LMR-400, A good coax for up to a total of 75 or so feet of length is OK)

Any run longer than 75 or so feet, Search out some good used Andrew 7/8" Heliax. Now available at most all swapfests complete with connectors for a fair price.

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: