Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: Prev 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Legal or Illegal?  (Read 1129 times)
N3OX

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: August 25, 2008, 08:14:49 PM »

Your default expectation should be that it is *PERFECTLY LEGAL* for a licensed amateur to be using any "CB Type" radio on the ham bands.

You can use any old thing on the ham bands as long as it meets some spectral purity rules (and the *OPERATOR* of the rig is responsible for making sure of that).

It is quite possible that that many of these radios (especially if they've been "peaked" or tweaked in any other way) may not *really* be clean enough to be on the ham bands, but unless you're armed with a spectrum analyzer, good measurement hygiene, and an objective demeanor, you can't really make a good  assessment of that, unless it's a really obvious trashy signal.

We should encourage clean "export" or "CB" radios to stay in the shacks of licensed amateurs on 10m.

Of course, we should mention obvious splatter/distortion problems when necessary, but that goes no matter what radio someone is running, and a guy running a wide-splattering IC-7700 or FT-9000 might be just as illegal as the guy running his Galaxy rig.

I made my first HF QSO on my buddy's Ranger 2950 and the guy on the other end didn't seem to have a problem with my signal.

Dan

Dan
http://www.n3ox.net

Monkey/silicon cyborg, beeping at rocks since 1995.
W7ETA

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: August 29, 2008, 07:24:57 PM »

I just built a 6L6 CW transmitter based on a schematic from a 1948 ARRL HandBook.

ARRL recently published the results of their contest for a transceiver that can be built for around $50.

Bob
N8DV

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: September 02, 2008, 06:38:17 AM »

I have read all the responses to your question and many have missed the point: we are considered hobby communications and thus don't need FCC type acceptance even though most, if not all our modern equipment, exceed those requirements. And since we are a hobby, and experimentation is part of the hobby, we can and do, build transmitters to operate.
However, since our radio equipment is not FCC type accepted, we cannot legally operate that equipment outside of the ham bands. There has been a rash of illegal 10 meter operation by unlicensed persons using modified or purchased ham equipment on that band. Remember, you don't need an amateur radio license to purchase radio equipment, just to operate it legally.
WB5ITT

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: September 07, 2008, 06:25:35 AM »

An HR2510 if I recall is legal to modify and use on 10 by A LICENSED AMATEUR....thats what counts..geesh get off the "Which radio" kick....ANY radio that can be moved into the ham bands that meets Part 97 spectral purity IS LEGAL AS LONG AS THE OPERATOR IS..
case closed.
NE5C

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: September 10, 2008, 03:13:15 AM »

There truly is "MORE" to our conversation about this subject, than totally meets the eye!

For instance?
It's not truly an argument, according to FCC rules about what a "LEGAL AMATEUR" can operate. After all as stated many times before, Hams can legally modify, build and operate radios, as long as they meet the FCC guidelines of spectral purity.

***On the other hand?***
There are many discussions, and/or complaints, about the growing numbers of so called "Free Banders" or shall we say CBers - who have purchased these radios which are listed by The FCC as "Export radios" that frequently DO use them, especially on 10 Meters!  

Of course we all have our own opinions about HOW can we STOP such use of these devices, that truly are intentionally manufactured, and then sold at many Truck stops - that promote these self proclaimed "FREE BANDERS" and their decision to use them WITHOUT A LICENSE... whenever they please?

I can believe that this was the reason that the FCC compiled their list of such Radios called "EXPORT" 10 Meter Radios. They state it is not legal to import them into the United States, Market them, or sell them here! They also have stated that Customs may seize them, when they are located - attempting to be imported into the US. Honestly how hard is it to understand that these are NOT, radios that the FCC want on the street, for the unlicensed user?

AGAIN...I am not talking about what a "LICENSED AMATEUR" decides to experiment with, and/or use in their operation!
I am believing that as we need solutions, to help solve the problems about "unlicensed Free-Banders - Can you agree that the FCC has taken one more step - in attempting to help us, STOP that problem?

Last, but not least?
These rigs are... just what they say they are!
A glorified CB radio, with freq meters, and most with a Rotory switch, designed to take the unlicensed user, OUT OF LEGAL BAND! Most use the "Clarifier" to "somewhat vary" the transmit frequency for SideBand use, and reach on into the 29 Mhz range.

My opinion ONLY but...this IS NOT a rig I would promote to a new Ham, as a First Choice of use!
Sure enough - it can get them started in 10 Meters when limited funds, is also an issue! But thats sort of like "Tits on a Boar Hog" not really, that useful!

I suppose I find it amazing, that within one topic on Eham - we have many stating that we must STOP out of band use on the Amateur Bands! Then - in another topic we find discussion that disagrees with a decision made by the FCC - to help us stop that from happening!
As Rodney Dangerfield might have said?

"Man, Where's the Respect?"
8-) God Bless and 73
Jerry
KB3PXR

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: September 24, 2008, 07:40:02 AM »

To reiterate what was said in the previous posts into one.

It is legal to talk to an unlicensed person when a control operator is present. This is third party traffic on their end. It is ILLEGAL to talk to an unlicensed person if they are acting as control operator and you know that for a fact. The only exception is an emergency.

For certification, amateur radio equipment does not have to be certified to be USED. Some radios are illegal to sell due to their classification as export radios, but it is LEGAL for an amateur to use as long as it is used within the confines of Part 97 which includes license class rules.

The unlicensed operation rules are different on CB where you are only responsible for the legality of YOUR station and are permitted to talk to illegal stations, remember this is CB only.
NHRSTEIN

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: September 27, 2008, 09:44:04 AM »

My take on the freebanding issue closely matches many here. Operation outside of the CB band is not only illegal but rather useless. I personally use a CB in my truck, it's great for directions and many of interesting conversations have taken place over this piece of equipment. I am currently replacing mine due to some serious malfunctions. The signal is no longer clean and the display doen't work any more. So I currently unlicensed to operate a ham radio but looking to do so in the near future oct. 11 I take the test. What type of radio should I replace this with was one of my decisions, the end result of my decision making was to purchase the cheapest CB radio I could find, continue using my wonderful antenna and i should get respectable performance even if the radio is completely incapable of putting out the entire 4 watts the 11M band is limited to. I figure if I want to go further I can use the Icom 2200H I just ordered. So once I have my license I will have a radio that I can install and talk to people on. Honestly I started in CB when I was about 9 years old, learned most of the vulgarities I know today on the trucker channel 19. One can argue the merits of whether the FCC should crack down on this but, persoanlly I believe I am the person today due to a culmination of all my past expirences. So to sum it all up, even as a current CB'er and soon to be licensed amature I really think the FCC should make a serious effort to eliminate freebanding or unlicensed operation. I don't really see them as attempting to do this any time soon but if they do it would be great. Leave the CB band as the ignored bastard child of radio and I think all amatures should be able deal with the missing 1-2 MHZ that anyone can use. Radio transmission is a useful thing and to completely lock it down to only amatures and licensed broadcasters would eliminate WIFI, cell phones, remote starters, and a plethora of other interesting things we all use on a day to day basis.

hope this seems more as a centrally based view rather than anything else.

//John
KB0VWG

Ignore
« Reply #22 on: October 01, 2008, 09:09:44 AM »

The Hr 2510 is a 10 meter radio and Illegal to modify to 11 meters.
Pages: Prev 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: