Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: JUPITER TRANSCEIVER BY TEN TEC  (Read 1060 times)
N4VNV

Ignore
« on: January 07, 2004, 01:43:31 PM »

Myself and a friend are interested in the Ten Tec Jupiter. Would appreciate any current owners giving us feedback on same. We are comparing it to the IC746PRO's we currently own. The last product review in QST is about two and a half years old.
 Thank you. K4SFC Larry
WB2WIK

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2004, 02:21:11 PM »

Maybe the rig's improved with age, but I bought one new when it first emerged, disliked it intensely, and returned it.

Felt way too much like a "toy," and not a bench rig.  Light, flimsy controls, pan display that performed no useful function for me, never got the TX modulation to sound good regardless of adjustment (although that may have been fixed with firmware -- I do hear good-sounding Jupiters on the air now), RX did not reasonably compare with my 1989-vintage TS-850S.

But, many people swear by them!  I guess the "different strokes" theory really applies.

WB2WIK/6
KB9WIS

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2004, 08:01:51 PM »

The Ten Tec Jupitor is an awesome rig with IF DSP that is in the same class as the ICOM 746PRO.  They both have great receivers, with high sensitivity, Noise Reduction and QRM fighting attributes, however the TenTec Jupitor has better sounding Transmit (in both AM and SSB).  The ICOM 746 only sounds mediocre on AM.  The 746 does have more frequencies and a built in auto tuner though.., however the TenTec is cheaper. Both rigs have some of the best "IF" DSP out there of "any" class..

Hope this helps,

Kb9wis
W0JSB

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: March 15, 2004, 05:00:29 PM »

I bought a new Jupiter direct from Ten-Tec in October 2003 and have been very satisfied with its operation ever since.  

It handles SWR better than a tube rig and has excellent sensitivity.  CW operation is outstanding.  SSB/AM phone is excellent provided you use a good mic like the TT706 desk microphone.

I got my Jupiter a few years after it was put on the market and there have been dozens of firmware updates to line out the bugs.  I would suggest to any prospective buyer to get one and try it for 30 days.  If you don't like it you can return it for a refund.

I would recommend purchasing the unit with the internal antenna tuner.  Ten-Tec had a backorder of the add-on internal tuners for a while so if you buy it with the tuner already installed you won't have to wait.

I wrote a mini-review of my Jupiter - you can read it at http://n1su.us/tentec.html

73 Jason N1SU
W4CNG

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: March 21, 2004, 12:16:38 AM »

The software updates have been great including DSB AM.  It will do 60 meters when other rigs will melt their band pass filters after "Opening them Up" (read that as ICOM and others). I figure I will be able to stay ahead of all the "Crowds" with the Jupiter for the next few years, then look again at TT for the next advance in Technology.
Steve W4CNG
AE4X

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: March 22, 2004, 11:16:43 PM »

Go with an ICOM 746. No contest.
N4DEK

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: March 24, 2004, 04:03:49 PM »

I bought a new Jupiter shortly after they hit the market and had all kinds of problems with RFI getting into the transmitted audio and severe receiver overload on strong signals. Never could get it right so I returned it for a full refund. About a year later I deceided to try another one hoping that they had the problems corrected. Didn't have the RFI problem with the second one but the receiver overload on strong signals was still there. After many emails with Ten-Tec and no one willing to admit that they had a problem I returned the second one for a full refund as well. I would buy another one tomorrow if they would fix the overload problem but they have not. I have heard many owners complaining about this still today. The Jupiter is a fun radio to operate and the receiver is very nice sounding as long as the signals are less than S9+30. The DSP in this radio is probably the best of any radio I've ever owned and I've owned them all. Too bad Ten-Tec doesn't want to correct this small problem in an otherwise excellent radio.
K5RIX

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: October 02, 2008, 10:12:04 PM »

I really like the feel of the Jupiter.  I also dislike yelling into a mic.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: