Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: 20m very rough on 09/28?  (Read 641 times)
KC2OYZ

Ignore
« on: September 29, 2008, 04:39:36 AM »

09/27 - Sat PM I made some minor changes to my antenna system - changes that shouldn't be very significant at all.

On Sunday, 09/28, I believe I didn't hear as many stations as I usually do on Sundays, and I seemed to be getting worse signal reports than usual - I usually work Texas and Florida easily with 5/9's but on Sunday I was getting 5/7's and 5/5's - and the Texas QSO party was going but I didn't work many Tx stations - but on Saturday I worked about 20 Tx stations. Did I make something worse with my antenna or was Sunday just a very rough day for propagation? I think it was just a rough day because my RX was also effected - the changes I made could not have effected my RX that much.

(My antenna situation is very difficult and I'm not sure an antenna analyzer can help me very much to figure it out.)
KB9CRY

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: September 29, 2008, 06:02:23 AM »

What were the solar flux numbers and the A & K indices?
N3OX

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: September 29, 2008, 06:03:55 AM »

"I usually work Texas and Florida easily with 5/9's but on Sunday I was getting 5/7's and 5/5's"

Not everyone's S-meter is the same.   S-meter readings are relatively meaningless. You could have two days with the exact same conditions where you get 55 instead of 59 reports, just because of who you're talking to.   Sometimes people give signal strength reports on the basis of readability too; they don't really know how to use R S T; you're not as easy to hear as some others because they've got noise, so they give you a "5 by 5" instead of a "4 by 8," you never know.

And, sure propagation can vary.  I wouldn't say 20m was "very rough" yesterday for me...  I was working DX though, so maybe the band was long.  Those Texas QSO party stations were pretty loud here though.

I bet if you hadn't just made changes to the antenna, you wouldn't have even blinked at the 5x5 and 5x7 reports you got.

I know the feeling you're having; I do a lot of antenna experimentation and when I spend all Saturday making what should be an improvement and Sunday seems bad, I worry.  Just give it a few days, it'll pass ;-)

Dan

Dan
http://www.n3ox.net

Monkey/silicon cyborg, beeping at rocks since 1995.
K7PEH

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: September 30, 2008, 07:32:28 PM »

I was driving back home (Kirkland, WA, near Seattle) from a quick one-day trip to Corvallis, Oregon.  I accumulated about 20 QSOs on 20 meters on Sunday the 28th from my mobile rig, about half of those were CW and most of those were the TQP (Texas QSO Party contest).  The other half were a number of SSB stations, all on 20 meters.  And, I rang up some notable distant stations.

One in particular was AA1KS who was located on an island off of the northern coast of the state of Maine and another was in North Carolina but I botched catching his call because it was not found in FCC ULS.  At the time, I was on I-5 traveling northbound near Salem, Oregon so a pretty good cross country reach.  I had my share of Texas QSO here too but only because they were loud, easy, and very many of them.  And, I tried to break two DX pileups.  One was PT7CB (Brazil) and the other was HB9IJJ (Switzerland).  Both of those were around 2 PM PDT in the afternoon.

So, even though I did not break the pileups I did copy those DX stations quite well and I would say that the propagation on 20 meters was pretty good.

Rig:  Icom 706 Mk IIG operating 100 watts into Hi-Q 4/80 screwdriver antenna on a 2004 Chevy Silverado 2500HD crew cab pickup truck.
KC2OYZ

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: October 01, 2008, 09:06:07 AM »

Thanks for the reports. Maybe I was just on the air at the wrong time, or it was just because I had made the adjustments so it was in my head. I will leave it the way I have it for now - which SHOULD be an improvement - wait and see.

Mikey
K2BKT
DAVIDVD59

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: October 03, 2008, 06:59:28 PM »

From 9:30 am cst until 1 pm cst I was making dx contacts to europe from my mobile in Wisconsin. After 1 pm cst it was like someone shut off a switch, and the DX went away if that helps you any.

Dave AB9PM
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: