Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 Next   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Call sign on license plate- good or bad?  (Read 4089 times)
KD8HMB

Ignore
« on: September 17, 2008, 03:50:14 PM »

I have thought about changing my vehicle license plate to my call sign when it comes up for renewal next month, but wonder what reasons there are - both pro and con- to do it or not. Here's some of my thoughts:

Pro - looks cool
      will finally remember my license plate number

Con - call sign can be looked up easier than state issued plate number to find out personal information

I would like to hear your opinions, please
Thanks
AA4PB

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: September 17, 2008, 04:07:44 PM »

Most people out on the road wouldn't have a clue how to look up your call sign in a database. One benefit is that other hams know you are a ham. I've had some interesting conversations with hams who saw my license plate.
WB2WIK

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: September 17, 2008, 05:33:33 PM »

I wouldn't hesitate.

I agree most people wouldn't have the faintest idea how to look you up.

Criminals don't care, they'll steal your car either way.

Best way to prevent home theft or robbery or worse is don't leave anything in the car that identifies where you live.

The advice, "Leave your car registration and insurance papers in your glove compartment" is, to me, terrible advice.  Carry it on you, instead.  If multiple  drivers use your car, make copies of the registration and insurance papers and let them all carry the copies.

One of the largest causes of home burglaries (or worse, robberies!) is that people left a paper trail pointing right to their homes, and that trail often started in their glove compartment.

WB2WIK/6
W3LK

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: September 17, 2008, 06:54:58 PM »

My call sign tags help explain the four antennas on my vehicle.Smiley

Lon - W3LK
Naugatuck, Connecticut

A smoking section in a restaurant makes as much sense as a peeing section in a swimming pool.
ONAIR

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: September 17, 2008, 10:41:58 PM »

If you use a PO Box on your ticket instead of your home address, it makes it harder for you to unwillingly be found!
W2JLB

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: September 18, 2008, 06:58:26 AM »

I have had ham call sign plates for more than ten years with no issues.

In New York, Ham Radio Operator plates are defined as "Emergency Services". For me,  the main reason is when responding to an emergency call out the law enforcement personnel involved immediately recognize me as a ham.

N4CQR

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: September 18, 2008, 07:07:23 AM »

Don't concern yourself with security issues. License plates are something few people look at. If your vehicle looks like the typical ham's, the license plate will be th least thing people will be gawking at.

Stuff like N4CQR, AH0LE, AB0RE etc. generally means nothing to the average Joe.

Here in KY you have to renew yearly which is a pain in the ass drive the county courthouse, take off the old palte, go into the building, stand in line, present your old plate, proof of insurance and a check for taxes and renual, get your new plate, return to your vehicle and install the new plate while freezing your ass off. (this is done here in December)

I turned mine in ....

C r a i g
KB9CRY

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: September 18, 2008, 07:53:55 AM »

I don't want to pay the higher fees in my state for a vanity plate; what I do is have my callsign (and kennel name) on my custom made license plate holder.

And I have adequate security at my home.
KD8HMB

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: September 18, 2008, 10:55:56 AM »

"I don't want to pay the higher fees in my state for a vanity plate"

My state (Michigan) only charges a $2.00 fee for the plate above and beyond the regular yearly renewal fee.

"And I have adequate security at my home"

My mastiff will take care of the security - she has yet to let a beef roast get by her Smiley
AA4PB

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: September 18, 2008, 01:33:45 PM »

If you use a PO Box on your ticket instead of your home address, it makes it harder for you to unwillingly be found!
------------------------------------------------------------------------------
The FCC will still require you to identify your station location either by street address or by lot number so a PO Box won't do you much good.
W3LK

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: September 18, 2008, 02:18:12 PM »

<< The FCC will still require you to identify your station location either by street address or by lot number so a PO Box won't do you much good. >>

Not true! All the FCC requires is a location where you can receive mail from them. They don't care whether it's a physical location or a PO Box. The requirement for a physical station location went away many years ago.

I had a Baltimore PO box as the only address on my license and records for several years, until I moved to Connecticut. I know of several clubs with repeaters that have nothing more than the club's PO box on the club's license.

Lon - W3LK
Naugatuck, Connecticut

A smoking section in a restaurant makes as much sense as a peeing section in a swimming pool.
KE4DRN

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: September 18, 2008, 02:44:14 PM »

hi,

I have them on both family cars.

most of the people I work with
can't figure out what ke4drn means !

NC charges only $ 10 additional for a
public service plate.
we only use one plate on our vehicles in NC.

73 james
WX4O

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: September 18, 2008, 04:35:13 PM »

Just to see, I put your call into Google and it came back with 'many' hits, including:

Results 1 - 10 of about 24,100 for wb2wik. (0.07 seconds)
Search Results

QRZ.COM WB2WIK
      WB2WIK USA Lookups: 22221. STEVEN D KATZ 20510 MALDEN ST ... Add/Update biography for WB2WIK. Does this page contain inappropriate content? ...
      www.qrz.com/callsign/WB2WIK - 13k - Cached - Similar pages -

I'm not sure the average person couldn't do the same.
I'm thinking about removing the old plate I have on the front of my truck. I dunno.
W3LK

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: September 18, 2008, 05:13:25 PM »

For those living on the ragged edge of paranoia, please do not get call sign plates, do not give out your name, do not get an amateur radio license, do not get a driver's license, do not put antennas on your vehicle, do not put your call letters ANYWHERE anyone can read them.

DO NOT LEAVE THE HOUSE!

For the rest, enjoy life.

Lon - W3LK
Naugatuck, Connecticut

PS - I have yet to read of a single instance of someone using a call sign license plate to locate a house and burgle it.

K2YO

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: September 18, 2008, 08:35:19 PM »

Are those black helicopters I hear in the distance?

Bernie
Pages: [1] 2 3 Next   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: