Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: Prev 1 [2] 3 Next   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Call sign on license plate- good or bad?  (Read 4238 times)
N3OX

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: September 19, 2008, 05:11:51 PM »

"
PS - I have yet to read of a single instance of someone using a call sign license plate to locate a house and burgle it. "

Turns out houses are pretty easy for thieves to find ... they just kind of sit there, doing not much of anything.  They don't run away when you approach them or anything.

If I were trying to steal stuff to make a quick buck, I wouldn't go to ham houses.  You have to get into a lesser-used room, figure out what's worth anything and what's not... then you have to sell it off.  

Besides, these days you should be much more worried about someone digging through your trash for financial information.  You'll wish they'd taken the whole hamshack after you sort that out.

Dan

Dan
http://www.n3ox.net

Monkey/silicon cyborg, beeping at rocks since 1995.
N0MUD

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: September 19, 2008, 09:44:49 PM »

Here in Colorado we are lucky we get our zero's with a slash thru it. The older plates which are the green plates dont say anything except your call sign. The new plates have the abreviation of special plate on the side. Still as most have said most people dont have the slightest idea how to look you up and most states now dont allow just any joe smoe go to DMV to ask for info on a plate number. Also here in Colorado our HAM plates are NOT considered Vanity plates and those that do have the Vanity plates have to pay $65.00 a year plus normal registration. For our Ham plates we pay a one time fee of $10.00 and thats it and of course each year we have to pay the normal vehicle registration. It irritates my brother because he has "Tims T" on his 27 Roadster and he has to pay $65.00 each year plus vehicle registration and he knows I dont have to but he doesnt realize that us Hams are available for any emergencys or calls for service or help if needed. It was funny when I first applied for my N0mud plates on the form I put the slash thru the zero and then wrote on the form to put the slash thru the zero not realizing that the state license plate makers already know how to do Ham plates.

Don't worry go for it, you will enjoy your call plates and never have to wonder what your license plate number is.

73s Mike, N0mud
KE6WNH

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: September 21, 2008, 09:36:44 AM »

As long as you're not a jammer, why worry about it?
KI4OIU

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: September 21, 2008, 10:18:49 AM »

Both my wife and myself have our calls on our vehicle plates - and we have participated in numerous qso's while traveling on vaction due to the call signs being right there in the open.  

Yes, the large antennas on the vehicles are noticable, but plates help that much more.

Here in Florida it's $2.00 extra for the plate, and we renew them by snail mail...not a problem.

73's

KI4OIU
W3LK

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: September 21, 2008, 12:04:24 PM »

In Connecticut, the ham tags are a class of vanity tag and are $25 extra for two years.

Lon - W3LK
Naugatuck, Connecticut

A smoking section in a restaurant makes as much sense as a peeing section in a swimming pool.
DAVIDVD59

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: September 21, 2008, 05:06:31 PM »

I would like to get my call on my plate, but I didn't have the money to do so this year. If I have to worry about a house burglary, I hope the persons get along with my dog, the one that got me kicked out of my last place because he "looks" vicious and scares everyone.
KI9A

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: September 22, 2008, 04:01:47 PM »

Gee, I guess they couldn't actually follow you home to find out where you live, then google your address for info, huh?

Wait, I hear voices..and the little flying saucers are coming again!
K7KBN

Ignore
« Reply #22 on: September 22, 2008, 05:29:40 PM »

You DO identify at the specified intervals during every QSO, right?

I wonder if that's a good idea...I mean, somebody with a receiver could hear me say "This is K7KBN" and he'd be able to find out where I live.

Oh, the humanity...

Pat K7KBN
CWO4 USNR Ret.
K3NRX

Ignore
« Reply #23 on: September 23, 2008, 06:55:58 AM »

Gee, when I read what's been posted in this thread about fees and requirements for call sign/vanity plates in some states, I have to thank my lucky stars that here in Pennsylvania, we have none of those renewal fees. Surprising, since PA is one of the biggest wasters of money and biggest tax hungry states in the country. Had my call sign plate since 1991, and paid a one time application fee for it. Not one dime has been dropped on a plate renwal. Just the yearly vehicle registration.  That's enough. Let's not give the weasels in H-burgh any more ideas!

Vince P
KA3NRX
K1DA

Ignore
« Reply #24 on: September 23, 2008, 08:49:43 AM »

Due in large part to the professional conduct of amateur radio operators in the past, many in the law enforcement world have a favorable impression of amateur radio.  Might, and I say might, save you a "judgement call" ticket some day.  Also distinguishes
you from the CBer- generally assumed to use radios in the vehicle to "avoid law enforcement activity".  

In the heyday of the autopatch repeater  when we called in a lot of accidents and road hazards we arranged to have someone "connected" clue in the state police dispatchers as to who we were and they always took us seriously.
KC0SHZ

Ignore
« Reply #25 on: September 24, 2008, 02:39:06 PM »

I have them, as do most of the hams I know here in Omaha.  Nebraska charges us an extra $7 a year for the plates.  

I don't think it gives us any better emergency access, but it does rapidly identify the cars to other hams.  When we are parked at an event, we all look out for each other's vehicles that way.

I remember being told that in case of a real event, RACES would call out hams and our ham call cars would have some special role.  So far, we have not had that happen in any of the drills or activations we have had.
NA0AA

Ignore
« Reply #26 on: September 24, 2008, 07:22:05 PM »

I've had Q's because of my call sign plates.  Here in CA, we also get a good deal on them - they are 'special' but not 'vanity' - I don't remember, but I think it was a one-time charge of $20 for the plates, and it costs nothing on top of the regular license renewal every year.  It may be the only thing in CA that is NOT taxed?

W4CNG

Ignore
« Reply #27 on: September 26, 2008, 08:58:53 PM »

Good!  In Georgia the Ham Callsign Plate is $0.00.  You only pay the ad-velorum tax on the worth of the vehicle.  You need proof of insurance and a copy of your license plus the tax to get the tag or renewal.  All others pay $20 per tag per year, just for the TAG, then there is the tax on top of that.

Steve W4CNG on the TAG.
W4CNG

Ignore
« Reply #28 on: September 26, 2008, 09:04:24 PM »

For WIK's notes, the big thing in Atlanta Georgia is the smash and grab car robbery of your Front Dash mounted Nava-Computer.  Break window, grab Nava-Computer, grab Garage opener on your sunvisor, split, turn on, press HOME and off they go.  While you are reporting the smashed window and loss of items, the bad guy has already driven to your home, opened your garage door, entered your home via the unlocked door from the garage, and cleaned out what they found.  Forget the paperwork, thieves are working a few feet above the floor these days.

Steve W4CNG
N4VNV

Ignore
« Reply #29 on: September 29, 2008, 06:52:53 AM »

The "Ham" License Plate is not taken off each year any more in Kentucky.
Pages: Prev 1 [2] 3 Next   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: