The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

donate to eham
   Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Newbie in search of 1st Radio: Special Purpose...  (Read 1330 times)
DUALMONITORS

Ignore
« on: November 30, 2008, 07:02:35 PM »

Dear All:

I'm a newbie to the world of SW radios and am primarily interested in purchase one or two smaller units for the use in a "BOB" (Bail Out Bag) type situation.    Of course, where this "first purchase" leads to in not yet known, i.e. maybe I'll become a SW enthusiast?  Wink

I live in a big city and there as been a rise in violence and other types of emergency situation in recent years.   Living here as one person and my dog, i'm increasingly thinking about the need to have a "bag" available to me to "grab and go" should it come to that.

as the bag would include many objects including food, it will likely be heavy, so lightweight is an important attribute.

i'd like to ask for permission to post in your "Misc" forum to ask experts for feedback on the options/models available to me.    i have done substantial research but would like, at this point, to ask for feedback/advice.

1st Group:  Small and relatively inexpensive at ~$29:
http://www.eham.net/reviews/detail/4761

2nd Group:  Bigger and superior but obviously heavier (2 main options in this group):

http://www.eham.net/reviews/detail/4288

http://www.eham.net/reviews/detail/5071

3rd Group:  Bigger with hand crank (many feel this is a gimmick rather than realistically a good for BOB type use):

http://www.jr.com/eton/pe/ETO_FR350ARC/

- MOST "popular" bestseller radio, is this the "best" option?
http://www.kaitousa.com/KA1102.htm

reviews of the "1102" bestseller:

http://www.eham.net/reviews/detail/4226

http://www.radiointel.com/review-degende1102.htm

Parameters to consider include performance, weight, durability of LCD display panel (bigger LCD may NOT be better in this particular use), battery life, etc.    While I might be attracted to, say as an example, a larger LCD or display, I must keep in mind the original, primary purpose of this purchase:  that it is meant to go into a BOB "Bail Out Bag".  And, as such, it needs to meet those criteria.

Thank you very much in advance for your help.  Happy Holiday Season to all!
K9KJM

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: December 01, 2008, 01:07:11 AM »

IF a person could only have but one radio to do it all, That radio HAS to be the KENWOOD TS-2000.

Period.
 The TS 2000 does stuff NO other radio on the market can do, Including cross band repeat to your little hand held from UHF to HF, And everything in between.........  Including all band SWL receive.
With true DUAL receive. Listen to HF AND VHF at the same time.

The TS 2000 is fairly large, And expensive, (1000 bucks good used right now)  BUT it does it ALL, And will do it all from your 12 volt auto battery, Or solar charged deep cycle 12 volt marine battery.
KB9CRY

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: December 01, 2008, 05:16:17 AM »

K3
AA4PB

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: December 01, 2008, 05:28:06 AM »

Personally I think the hand crank is rather important for an emergency application. The radio sits in its bag for a year without use. What is the chance that the battery will be good or that you will have a supply of fresh batteries on hand when an emergency goes down? I'd look for a radio that includes the AM band, FM band, and weather channels. I don't think you'll find the short wave bands of much use in an emergency.

Bob  AA4PB
Garrisonville, VA
KE4SKY

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: December 01, 2008, 08:58:36 AM »

C.C. Crane Observer or Freeplay EyeMax

http://www.ccrane.com/radios/wind-up-emergency-radios/index.aspx
DUALMONITORS

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: December 02, 2008, 09:06:41 PM »

mmm...may i ask a contrarian-type question?

why would an SW radio be useful in an emergency type situation?   i'm under the impression that during emergencies, local authorities would like to reach locals, who all have am/fm radios!   SW radio bands are from far away places, right?  like BBC and such.

also, people have told me that crank-type radios have some downsides:  bulky, ineffective batteries (though recently, they are a bit better with NiMH rather than NiCad batteries built-in),  and mediocre radios built into them and just merely selling due to the more gimmicky aspects of commercializing this type of emergency radios.

they have told me that i'm better off buying a regular am/fm/sw radio that is not too bulky.

what do y'all think?  may i ask?

thx!
DUALMONITORS

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: December 02, 2008, 09:33:41 PM »

PS:   some have told me that instead of getting a "fancier"  "1102" or "1103",  i can/should consider these simpler, yet equally useful radios under the "emergency scenario":

Kaito KA11
KA1101
KA105

what do you all think, may i kindly ask?

thx!
W7IBI

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: December 04, 2008, 01:00:42 PM »

You say that the primary purpose of the radio is to go into the bail out bag. If that is true it doesn't matter what kind of radio you get.
What do you want to hear on the radio? THAT is the primary purpose of having a radio. If it is local news info that you are looking for, how far away will you be from that news?
I should think that a cell phone would serve your purpose. Subscribe to free news downloads to your phone through local TV or radio stations. If news is not your target, what is it?
AJ4DW

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: December 05, 2008, 09:29:54 AM »

Some important points have been made... primarily "What do you want to hear?". Judging by what you wrote, you're in a large city and you're concerned about riots or fires or another type of natural disaster. For most of these you'll need cash and a car and you'll be able to leave the area of danger fairly quickly. Cash or a credit card will get you food and fuel (and fresh batteries) in adjacent cities without any problems. Your car has a nice reliable AM/FM radio in it (with it's own generator).

If you're talking food and radios w/short wave and generators then you're either talking "survivalist fantasy" where the entire country is in chaos, or you're talking EmComm or "disaster responder" where you actually need to enter *into* the area, rather than flee it... For the former you'll need a crank-up radio or a radio and a generator set as well as firearms, camo clothing, etc etc. For the latter you'll need a license and a lot of training. Don't get carried away... a go-bag only needs to get you out of the area and to some place safe... if there is no place safe you're cooked anyway.

That having been said, I prefer the old RadioShack AM/FM/SW radios with digital display, sleep mode, and wake up alarm (Realistic DX-370 / Sangean ATS-800). They're small and portable, nice to listen to when you're away from home and the BBC has some nice programs as well for a change of pace if you're up in the mountains, out of range of local FM, and only able to receive AM farm reports or gospel. Batteries are all AA and easy to obtain. I just broke out two of my receivers to offer one to my daughter and their batteries worked (after having been in the closet for 2 years). Of course, I don't know how long those batteries would last. That is a more realistic scenario... away from home in a motel, and just bored. I hate motels.

73 de Carl AJ4DW
AJ4DW

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: December 05, 2008, 09:58:52 AM »

Sorry.... I was thinking of the Sangean 803A/Radio Shack DX 440... good radio often available at a low price on eBay.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: