Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: 160m antenna ideas wanted  (Read 2061 times)
WC4R

Ignore
« on: December 22, 2008, 05:01:42 AM »

I've been a ham for over 35 years and only now have the space (barely) and trees to put up a 160m antenna. For a variety of reasons, I plan to build either a Carolina Windom or simple center-fed fed with ladder line antenna.
My question is: which one? Have you used both? What was your preference & why?
I like the CW since it seems like it would be a better performer but the 256' flat top may be just a little long.
The ladder line version makes a lot of common sense and I can shorten the flat to to fit and the open wire should give me extra I need. I do plan to terminate the open wire with a 4:1 balun just outside the house and feed the coax to my tuner. (Sorry purests but it's not a perfect world).
TNX all es 73
Merry Christmas!
Joe
KB9CRY

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: December 22, 2008, 06:03:30 AM »

Depends on what you want to work on 160M. Any dipole or windom or whatever, unless you can get it up really high, will be best for domestic and lousy for DX.  For DX most folks use something vertically polarized like an Inverted L or shunt feed a tower.
WW5AA

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: December 22, 2008, 07:45:28 AM »

I have found that working DX was a lot easier with a good RX antenna. My 252' ladder line fed doublet at 60' or my inverted "L" both work well for TX. The legal limit amp helps a lot also (:-).

73 de Lindy
WW5AA

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: December 22, 2008, 08:10:06 AM »

Oh...if I had room, I would have a 160 four square and insulated 199' tower. Have fun!

73 de Lindy
KT8K

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: December 22, 2008, 10:36:30 AM »

The off-center fed antenna will have a higher risk of RF feeding back to the shack (or at least that balun outside), while the center-fed doublet will do better in that respect.  You can let the ends of the doublet hang down from the insulators a good bit without noticeable effect on performance, if that helps.  

Height above reflecting ground (especially at the feed point) is the most critical factor, in my experience, and below 70' or so a 10' difference in elevation may be quite noticeable.  I have a 20/40/80m fan dipole that was up about 40' until my wife said she didn't want to see wires when she looked up through our skylights, so I tossed a rope over a tall tree and pulled the feed point 20' or so up into the tree and away from the house.  While it made the dipole into an inverted vee, and the angle of the wire legs no longer 180 degrees (it's off by perhaps as much as 30 degrees), the performance was amazingly improved.  I am now convinced that height above ground is THE most critical factor (and, perhaps more importantly, my wife is Happy).
Best rx & 73 de kt8k - Tim
KT8K

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: December 22, 2008, 10:40:58 AM »

I would also endorse the inverted L if you are interested in DX.  Use elevated radials if you can (you can use less of them) but if you must put them on the ground lay them out now and let the grass grow over them in the spring, it is likely they will be quite out of the way of mowers and foot traffic next summer.
73 de kt8k - Tim
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: