Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Is it lying or just mis-informed ham's?  (Read 613 times)
K3VW

Ignore
« on: December 16, 2008, 06:29:38 AM »

Is it lying or just mis-informed ham's when they list RF Communications equipment (radio's/ amplifiers)made in Rochester, NY,as made by the Harris Company ? Harris did absorb RF Comm. but before that, RF Comm. made a lot of radio's/ amplifiers with the deignation, "RF" preceeding the model number. That RF, stood for RF Comm., not Harris. Some unscrupulous ham's believe they can get more money for their RF Comm. stuff if they list it as Harris made!! There is a ham right now listing his amp., an RF-103, on this site, listing it as a Harris amplifier! Like the subject says, "Is it lying or just mis-informed"?!!
KUADE

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: December 16, 2008, 07:48:07 AM »

Have you emailed the seller and informed them of there mistake? Don't get me wrong, I see your point but something is only worth what people are willing to pay.

Still, good on you for bringing it up and not letting them get away with it.

Jesse
WB3ERE

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: December 16, 2008, 11:31:36 PM »

Sounds normal to me, there is a person (firestorm) on ebay presently selling an SB-104 transceiver and a HP-1144 power supply, he states that he's unable to try the SB-104 because he has no power supply...then he says that he can't test the HP-1144 because he has nothing to plug it into.

Yepper, I emailed him and explained that they work together but no response.  In other words his stuff is not only filty looking but complete non-fuctional junk.

73 Ed w3ere
WB2WIK

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: December 17, 2008, 11:25:53 AM »

>Is it lying or just mis-informed ham's?       Reply
by K3VW on December 16, 2008    Mail this to a friend!
Is it lying or just mis-informed ham's when they list RF Communications equipment (radio's/ amplifiers)made in Rochester, NY,as made by the Harris Company ? Harris did absorb RF Comm. but before that, RF Comm. made a lot of radio's/ amplifiers with the deignation, "RF" preceeding the model number. That RF, stood for RF Comm., not Harris. Some unscrupulous ham's believe they can get more money for their RF Comm. stuff if they list it as Harris made!! There is a ham right now listing his amp., an RF-103, on this site, listing it as a Harris amplifier! Like the subject says, "Is it lying or just mis-informed"?!!<

::RF Communications has been part of Harris for at least 30 years now, so the two names kind of go together.  If I had anything from RF Communications I'd probably say it was "Harris RF" out of habit, since they've had that moniker since my first association with them in 1978.  Stuff made before that's pretty old...

WB2WIK/6
N2HBX

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: December 23, 2008, 10:49:53 AM »

It is officially Harris Corporation, RF Communications Division.

I worked there from 1981 to 1985. Probably the worst experience of my life.

Larry, N2HBX
KE5MXA

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: December 25, 2008, 04:03:09 PM »

I actually had 2 for the rf-103 amps before hurricane Ike took them in the surge.. the have Harris RF-103 emblems on them
EC158

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: December 31, 2008, 07:39:14 AM »

does it really matter who made it? i want to know "does it work on cb?" if so i will buy it!
WB6DGN

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: January 01, 2009, 01:10:06 PM »

"does it really matter who made it?"

Yes!  Sometimes it "really" does matter.  In this case, Harris is a venerable old company, sort of in the same category as (the REAL) Hewlett Packard (NOT the computer fiasco) or Collins.  The products they designed and manufactured are a "cut above" the run-of-the-mill electronics  produced in this country and, in my opinion, MANY orders of magnitude above the rice boxes currently so highly praised by many.  I have no experience with RF Communications products.  I don't know whether they also bear Harris' fine reputation or not but the parent company is, deservedly, very  highly respected.
Tom
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: