Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: No Microphone?  (Read 855 times)
N5VTU

Ignore
« on: December 03, 2008, 08:40:42 AM »

Would someone enlighten me as to why so many HF rigs sold on the used market do not include microphones? Every rig I've ever purchased new over the past 20 years came with a mic, yet in many of the classified ads posted on Eham and elsewhere (and even at hamfests), the mics aren't included, or one from a different radio has been substituted. I'm sure there is a logical explanation for mics being MIA, but my feeble brain hasn't stumbled upon it yet.  

N5VTU
WB2WIK

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: December 03, 2008, 08:51:05 AM »

Well...

The "high end" home station rigs almost never come with a factory-supplied microphone.  Only the smaller rigs, like mobile rigs, do.  There isn't a "full sized" rig on the market that I know of that comes with a mike.

Then, if you are referring to the smaller rigs that actually do come with mikes, I am always suspicious when someone selling a used rig doesn't have the stuff that came with the rig.  Even if he's missing the manual, or the spare fuses, or the original carton...why be "missing" anything?  To me, this implies lack of caring.  If someone doesn't care enough about his gear to keep the stuff it came with, he probably didn't take very good care of it, either.

I have the original cartons from my Drake TR-7 which I purchased in 1978, about seven houses ago.  It's "moved" with me cross-country, and been stored in seven different attics, but I always knew where it was!

WB2WIK/6
KB9CRY

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: December 03, 2008, 11:51:51 AM »

You can buy them separately.
W0FM

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: December 03, 2008, 02:55:08 PM »

I'm with Steve.  I keep all the packing, the internal plastic wrapping, manuals, mounting screws and spare fuses that I have not used for every rig I purchase.  It's the only way to sell your rig later for its maximum value.

That said, it doesn't give me any better answer for you as to why guys sell rigs without the original mics IF they originally came with one.  Perhaps they became more fond of the mic than the radio and decided to hang on to the mic.

Strange folks, us radio amateurs.

73 de Terry, WØFM
KE4DRN

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: December 03, 2008, 05:45:08 PM »

hi,

no mic, no bag of spare fuses, even the filters
that are add on options are pulled from the radio
and sold off separately.
or the common only a 'copy' of manual and the
original gets sold later on.

73 james
WB2WIK

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: December 04, 2008, 09:46:04 AM »

>RE: No Microphone?       Reply
by KE4DRN on December 3, 2008    Mail this to a friend!
hi,

no mic, no bag of spare fuses, even the filters
that are add on options are pulled from the radio
and sold off separately.
or the common only a 'copy' of manual and the
original gets sold later on.

73 james<

::You know, James is probably 100% right.  It would only occur to me to do this if the rig was a goner and worthless, so I'd sell the "parts" it came with for whatever I could get for them!

WB2WIK/6

AA4PB

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: December 04, 2008, 05:49:22 PM »

Since the mikes are purchased separatly perhaps they kept the mike to use with the new rig. When I upgraded my Icom to a newer Icom I kept the mike and the external speaker for use with the new rig.
N5VTU

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: December 04, 2008, 07:43:08 PM »

Thanks for the replies. I was unaware that "full size" rigs almost never come with mics. Are we talking of rigs such as the IC-7700/7800 and various flavors of the FT-9000 as being the full sized ones?

Thanks,
N5VTU  

W5ESE

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: December 09, 2008, 06:41:11 AM »

In the 'olde days', rigs almost never came with
microphones.

My first multi-mode rig was a Kenwood TS-520 (in
1978). It didn't come with a microphone; I bought
a mobile hand microphone from Heathkit to go with
it.

My Ten-Tec Omni VI didn't come with a mic, either.

I still use the 30 year old Heathkit mobile mic
with it. Smiley

Scott
W5ESE

KB3RKJ

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: December 14, 2008, 08:06:52 AM »

My Icom 756ProIII came with a microphone.  Maybe you do not consider a 756ProIII to be full size.  I do.

As for the boxes and packing materials, etc, what a joke.  I don't keep that stuff.  First of all, true story, my dog litterally chewed up the main packing carton for my 756ProIII a day after I got the radio, but I would have thrown it out anyway.  I'm not running a carboard storage facility in my house.  
NE5C

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: January 04, 2009, 03:32:12 AM »

My Yaesu FT1000 MP Mark V Field came with a factory hand Mic also, which would even change frequency from the Mic and switch Tone quality of the audio. Wow...maybe - times have sure changed!
God Bless and 73.
8-)
Jerry
N5LRZ

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: January 05, 2009, 12:50:50 PM »

EASY answer...

You get a new radio and buy a new and better mic.  OF course you toss the mic in the junk box and forget about it after a while.

You then sell the radio after a year or two or three but you want to keep that nice mic that cost a couple of hundred bucks so you sell the radio WITHOUT a mic.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: