Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: 4 AA battery holder melts!  (Read 901 times)
KE5ULR

Ignore
« on: January 05, 2009, 04:40:10 PM »

I built a small solar battery trickle charger out of 4 1v solar cells and connected them with a diode to 4 AA Nimh (Hybrio) batteries. I then connected the batteries to a usb chord to use in to recharge a radio, phone or anything with a 5v usb connector during emergencies.

I tested this out with my multimeter and a set of cheap rechargeable batteries and everything worked as intended (over multiple hours)

I loaned the charger to my girlfriend who used 2000ma Hybrio batteries and she said as soon as she placed the batteries in the holder they heated up and melted the holder (and part of her chair).

This obviously was as short of some kind as the usb wasnt connected to anything. The strange part is the AA holder melted in the two batteries farthest away from the power chords and my soldering.

None of the other electronics or wires showed any signs of melting. And I made sure to carefully insulate all the connections and make sure that my soldering jobs were clean and had good penetration.

My question is , was it the battery holder itself, the batteries or something else. (this is a cheap radio shack battery holder, and my gf can't  remember if she installed every battery correctly :-).  To boot I am out of town and haven't had a chance to go over it. Any ideas on what could have gone wrong? Where should I start my diagnosis? I would hate to replace the battery holder just to have it do it again.

Any help greatly appreciated (I'm an electronics newbie and just got a new hakko 936 for xmas ..hurray).

Rock on,
Brad
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: