Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Multiple antennas  (Read 394 times)
JHZR2

Ignore
« on: January 26, 2009, 08:05:51 PM »

Please bear with me on this one, Im just learning.

Say I want to be able to work on multiple frequencies... say 70cm, 2m, 10m, 20m, 40m

Or some other similar combination.

Obviously there is no one antenna fits all.  Far from it.

If you have one base unit, how do you set it up so that you use the right antenna for the right frequency, both for sending and receiving???
N6NKN

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2009, 08:57:20 PM »

Some UHF and VHF antennas are dual band or triband antennas. For the HF bands antennas can be monoband or multiple band depending on the design. If you have multiple antennas there is a device called an antenna switch. You simply switch to the antenna you want to use.

Rick N6NKN  
KB9CRY

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2009, 04:50:18 AM »

They do make multi-band antennas that "automatically" switch themselves.

And the antenna switch with a little label above each position is the other way.

Very simple.
WW5AA

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: January 27, 2009, 05:50:19 AM »

I use a 252' doublet for 160-6 meters, I have a modified 5BTV for 160-6 meters, Inverted "L" for 160-6 meters, A3S modified beam for 40-10 meters 4 element beam for 2 meter APRS, VHF/UHF vertical for everything else. All HF antennas to a B&W 6 position antenna switch. The problem is that I get a nose bleed at anything higher than 40 meters (:-)

73 de Lindy
NA0AA

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: January 27, 2009, 04:36:08 PM »

Well, most of my VHF/UHF antenna are dedicated to a specific radio so they don't get switched:  Discone to the scanner, dual VHF/UHF to the FM mobile base station, etc.

For HF I have 5 HF antenna and 3 rigs.  It takes four antenna switches, and if I was going to do it again, I would just go with a patch-panel and use jumpers instead.  Although my current switch system just required a couple of touches to put any radio on any antenna.

A Fan Dipole will automatically band switch for you.  Personally I prefer two or three band versions [more than three bands is sometimes hard to get tuned] and I do them with the wires installed in parallel rather than fanned out due to space issues.

I like the LDG DTS-6 switches for HF coax switching - costs about the same as an Alpha-Delta 4 position switch and looks much much nicer on the operating desk.
AE5JU

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: February 03, 2009, 11:00:24 PM »

Just as KG6WOU says, this works fine.

Here's my fan dipole, and I stuck a 2m/70cm J-pole on top, too.

http://www.hamuniverse.com/ae5jumultibanddipole.html

Paul
AE5JU
AE6YB

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: February 10, 2009, 11:50:36 AM »

AE5JU Paul,  I had a look at your link.  Very impressive.  I noticed that you are fairly close to other houses.  Have you had any interference complaints from the neighbors?

Will
K9KJM

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: February 11, 2009, 12:37:09 AM »

If you use a radio like a Kenwood TS 2000, The radio has different antenna input connectors for the different bands, So it is as easy as selecting what band you want to operate on.
If you use some type of radio that does not have different antenna input connectors, You might have to use an antenna switch of some type to switch between them.  
AE5JU

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: February 18, 2009, 08:30:14 PM »

I had one minor comment from the house behind my workshop/hamshack.  He noticed the antenna and said he had heard a voice occasionally coming over the speaker on the burglar alarm system.  He asked if it was me.  I said, possibly.  I was about to suggest he try a phone filter on it, but before I did he said no problem, it was left there by the previous occupant, and he did not subscribe to the service.  He simply removed the battery, problem solved.

No other complaints.

Paul
AE5JU
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: