Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Help with antenna use  (Read 393 times)
N7ETT

Ignore
« on: March 03, 2009, 06:27:48 PM »

Hi All

I was given a Shakespeare marine antenna it is 3 piece, lower section is 6 ft with coax connector on the bottom next section is 6 ft top is a 5ft 2 in all is white fiberglass any ideas what I can make from this?

Thank You
Kevin
N7ETT
N0XE

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2009, 08:31:21 AM »

I would check this antenna with an analyzer, see what bands it is designed for, the word Marine can be deceiving, it sounds like the antenna they had for 21 to 30 Mhz, if so then an excellent 10 meter antenna and usable on 15 possibly as well.  That is really your first step, another way to check is of course with your hf radio and VHF radio  and a goog old SWR meter/wattmeter (built in or outboard )and start going through the bands and see , I am almost positive you will find it it a 10 meter vertical or if not then may be designed for 2 meters or higher, If it is an actual Marine band model then it may be set up for the commercial Marine channels in the VHF spectrum, above 150 MHZ I believe. 73 Jim N0XE
N7ETT

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: March 05, 2009, 03:36:15 PM »

Thank you for the help

Kevin
KB1LKR

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: March 09, 2009, 09:57:33 AM »

It may be a VHF marine antenna (~156-162 MHz), Shakespeare makes a variety of these w/ white fiberglass radomes. Check it w/ an analyser if you have access to one.
W0FM

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: March 10, 2009, 12:50:37 PM »

Hi Kevin,

Is there a model number on a metal plate near the connector on the bottom section?

Terry, WØFM
N5LRZ

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: March 13, 2009, 02:37:59 PM »

Do a google of the model of the antenna in question and check the specs of the manufacture as to frequency design.

With a little luck you should be close enough to one or perhaps two amateur radio bands to use the antenna on them.

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: