Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Good commercial radios  (Read 509 times)
N0SDR

Ignore
« on: March 11, 2009, 05:48:32 PM »

Hi, I have been shopping around for a couple of good mobile 40-50 mobile UHF 450-470 Mhz for GMRS. It has been years since I have dealt with this stuff, like early 90's at a 2-way shop I worked at. Looking for radio with minimum of 22 ch's, talkaround (repeater) function, 40-50 watts, and most important, built tough and somewhat easy to operate, like for my wife.
Let me know what advice you have, I'm all ears. Thank you.
WB6DGN

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: March 11, 2009, 06:09:59 PM »

My personal choice to (closely) fit your criteria would be a Motorola low power Spectra.  However, learn as much as you can before you buy.  You can get stung by buying the wrong radio.  Check out these sites.  Each one has a discussion group associated with it's site; go there and READ!
http://www.batlabs.com/
         or  
http://www.repeater-builder.com/rbtip/
         or
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Repeater-Builder/

Good Luck,
Tom DGN
N0SDR

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: March 12, 2009, 09:53:30 AM »

Thank you so much for the input Tom. When I last worked on 2-way equipment Midland was just getting into the commercial radio business (1990) Icom, Vertex, Kenwood were just getting going also. Motorola, General Electric, and Bendix were the going thing.

Thanks again!

Jerry
N0SDR
KB1OCC

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: March 12, 2009, 12:49:46 PM »

It doesn't have 22 channels, but 16 channels...

Kenwood TK-805D (with an FCC acceptance ID ending in "1").  Easily front panel programmable too and fairly durable.  I think it has the "talk around" feature too, but I can't remember.

I bought mine for about $50 off eBay.
N0SDR

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: March 16, 2009, 09:31:46 AM »

Thanks Brian, any input is much appreciated. I have heard really good things about the Kenwood radios, durable RF power amp was one comment from a technician here in the Twin Cities.

Thanks again Brian,

Jerry
N0SDR
KD8JAK

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: March 16, 2009, 01:46:13 PM »

The Motorola Maxtrac come in a 32 channel version in this power and frequency range.... ebay often has them ~$60.  
K9KJM

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: March 16, 2009, 10:17:53 PM »

For mobil radios, I have had really good luck with the Motorola Maratrac series. Low band, VHF and UHF.
Now seen at swapfests for 50 bucks for the entire set up.  100 watt radio, Control head and cable, Mic, Speaker, etc.  Big and heavy, But they are programmable and keep on working.
With ANY such radio you also need to find a friendly service shop or person who can program them for you.
Find the guy who can program before you buy any radios.
KB1OCC

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: March 17, 2009, 10:18:47 AM »

Just a reminder - The Kenwood TK-805D does not require a PC to program.  You can program it in the field from the menu.
AB0RE

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: March 25, 2009, 04:42:54 PM »

Icom IC-F221 UHF Mobile.  Software can be found "very cheap", programming cable can be built yourself, and it is front panel programmable.

Dan / ab0re
KC7GF

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: April 02, 2009, 11:12:27 AM »

These radios can be used for commercial and Amateur frequencies. Learn all about the Kenwood TK-705/805 and D models at our group on Yahoo,

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Kenwood_05s/

Come join us for information on these fine radios.

Art - KC7GF
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: