Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Why not 1.25 meters?  (Read 428 times)
KC5HMC

Ignore
« on: April 13, 2009, 10:52:18 AM »

Why is 1.25 meters ( 222 MHz ) not more common in multiband or even single band HT's? Also, when it is available it is at a reduced power 1.5W rather than 5W?

Thanks
Herb  KC5HMC
N3OX

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2009, 12:32:35 PM »

It's not a worldwide allocation so it's sort of a second class band.

In particular, I think it's not available in Japan, which according to Wikipedia has about 1.3 million operators.

Compare that to the USA's 720,000.

The market for 144MHz &  440MHz is much, much bigger.

It makes it hard to design a 1.25m radio that will be as profitable as a 2m/70cm rig.

Dan

Dan
http://www.n3ox.net

Monkey/silicon cyborg, beeping at rocks since 1995.
KB1LKR

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: April 13, 2009, 03:46:52 PM »

It's just a region 2 (North/South America) assignment. Also there's not much (any?) FM commercial gear that can be re-tuned into 1.25 as there is for 6m, 2m, & 70cm so the band gets used less (at least for FM), these two things comspire to keep the market small, therefore not a lot of amateur gear (particularly multiband) is made for it and the vicious circle continues.

I'd guess 1.5W vs. 5W arises from tuning/power dissipation issues at 1.25m, so they had to limit power for reliability, but I don't claim to know.
N5LRZ

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: April 20, 2009, 11:03:46 AM »

If you will check the ARRL Repeater Directory listings the length of the list of repeaters on each band will tell you why. Manufacturers know which frequency bands are popular and used the most.  They want to sell their product and as such put those bands in their products.

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: