Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1] 2 Next   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: BAD HAM MANNERS  (Read 1209 times)
NC4TB

Ignore
« on: April 13, 2009, 06:38:03 PM »

Heard a pile up today with a station in Indonesia. Also heard a club station in Hawaii whose callsign begins KH7 that repeated its call sign three times every time the Indonesian station went QRZ,trying to cover up anyone else's attempt to work them. Apparently the Indonesian station was annoyed with their lack of courtesy, as I never heard them reply. Apparently three stacked KT36XA antennas didn't impress the Indonesian station as much as the club stations' manners,or lack thereof. I wasn't impressed with the signal coming off the backside of their beams either,assuming they had them aimed correctly. Lets have some manners,folks. If they can't hear you with one vocalization of your call sign, twice more won't help.
N5LRZ

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2009, 08:39:45 PM »

Obviously you have never participated in Field Day to any great extent.

Because if you had then you would know that sometimes its just flat out dog eat dog.
WG7X

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: April 13, 2009, 10:03:43 PM »

It's called a pile-up for a reason...

If you expect everyone or anyone to stand by so you can work the DX, you'll never work any DX.

Granted, sometimes things get a little out-of-hand. That's usually my signal to get out of that pile and look for something else to do.

Many times I have found DX stations calling with no takers while the big guns butted heads a few kHz away.

Can't stand the heat? The door to the kitchen beckons.

Personally, I wish that I had the time to try to break a few pile-ups. Unfortunately for me, I still have to work.

Good luck and don't let it get to yoou!
73 Gary
G3RZP

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: April 13, 2009, 11:36:47 PM »

In a pile up, it's usual to give you call two or three times. You don't need to give his call - he knows who he is! Same as when you go back to a CQ. It can sometimes happen though, that if there are two DXpeditions on at the same time and pile ups merge, the DX you're calling isn't the one that comes back to you. When the DX is working  split, unless you know for sure exactly where he is listening AND| you know you have a big signal, you won't get anywhere if you don't give your call two or three times - unless you're so lucky that you win the lottery every other week.
NC4TB

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: April 14, 2009, 03:24:49 AM »

Just seemed sad to me that this "big gun" felt it was necessary to basically stomp everyone else to get his signal through. No one else was giving their callsign three times. Must not have had confidence in his antenna array and amp. I have busted pileups using 100w and a dipole. Didn't find it necessary to repeat my call three times with each transmission to get thru either. Is this a fun hobby or is it whoever has the most money for a high dollar system and bad manners gets to work dx?
W3LK

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: April 14, 2009, 06:42:20 AM »

Whine, Whine Whine - all you need is a wedge of cheese to go with it.

Lon - W3LK
Naugatuck, Connecticut

A smoking section in a restaurant makes as much sense as a peeing section in a swimming pool.
WG7X

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: April 14, 2009, 07:38:37 AM »

I like cheese!

No wine tho... Howza 'bout a good micro-brew?

Beer that is...

73 Gary
K3NRX

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: April 14, 2009, 08:12:48 AM »

Heard a pile up today with a station in Indonesia.

REPLY: Gonna stop you right there. Pile-ups are bad ham manners. Plain and simple. I will probably catch a lot of flack for that comment, but sometimes the truth hurts. There has to be a better way to work DX.

Vince P
KA3NRX

KB9CRY

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: April 14, 2009, 10:54:37 AM »

There has to be a better way to work DX.

Bigger and higher antennas and more power always trumps the pileup.  No need to call constantly.
KG4YMC

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: April 14, 2009, 01:11:56 PM »

I busted a pileup to rotundra cook is . with ten watts and horrors I may have repeated my callsign more than once, give me a break!!! pass the cheese! kg4ymc
KG4YMC

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: April 14, 2009, 01:24:58 PM »

hey lon, lets say the big gun knew 20wpm code, took the test the old way , walked up hill in the snow both directions to pass it . flame on you get  the popcorn . !!  onely a 100 watts and a dipole? oh my. kg4ymc qrp got to go dig up the dead horse now .. byekgrymc 73, its a hobby enjoy the thrill of the hunt , good grief!  mabey the big gun had his wonderful gain , but no ears( sorry ) cb slang, ooops , I mean reciver seinsitvity kg4ymc mabey needs g5 for reciver antenna ? that ought to get some irks hi hi .
KA4CKR

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: April 14, 2009, 02:25:39 PM »

To quote the Principal in Billy Madison,

"What you've just said is one of the most insanely idiotic things I have ever heard. At no point in your rambling, incoherent response were you even close to anything that could be considered a rational thought. Everyone in this room is now dumber for having listened to it. I award you no points, and may God have mercy on your soul."

Or, in other words, "Huh?"
G3RZP

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: April 14, 2009, 04:09:16 PM »

So XY2XYZ is calling CQ on 20 SSB. He's  about 3 by 4 but you could get a QSO. You have 100 watts and a 3 ele beam at 60 feet. If you call him, will you just say 'XY2XYZ, WA4ABC' (or whatever) and have much hope of getting through? No, you'll call him, giving your call a few times, as you have a good chance of not being a lot stronger with him than  he is with you unless he's running real QRP.

Pile ups will always exist. If half a dozen guys hear XY2XYZ, when he finishes the CQ, they'll go back at the same time. Where manners and good operating comes in is when XY2XYZ comes back and says 'QRZ the Sugar Mike Five'

Whereupon all Europe will go back to him  'Golf Four ---', Italy One---', Delta Lima Six ---' etc, including guys who have been licenced long enough that they should know better, (I expect it's similar but not quite so bad stateside) The SM5 is lost somewhere in the racket.

If the XY2 comes back to a particular call he picked up, there will be, in Europe at least, still people yelling their calls 'to get exposure' 'so the DX will recognise the call'.

Bad manners, bad practice.

This where the DX station needs to take control. Way back when, in the early '60s, a DXpedition to the Caribbean was on 20 one night. 'Europe only' he said.

Bedlam resulted, of course. When it died down, he came back ' Europe gentlemen, is over my left shoulder. It isn't in Massachusetts, New Jersey, Pennsylvania or Georgia. When I say Europe, I mean Europe. Now let's try again. QRZ Europe'

I have a nasty suspicion that wouldn't work these days.

W3LK

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: April 14, 2009, 06:26:54 PM »

YMC:

As usual, your post is virtually incomprehensible. I have NO idea what you are trying to say - and don't really care.

Lon - W3LK
Naugatuck, Connecticut

A smoking section in a restaurant makes as much sense as a peeing section in a swimming pool.
KG4YMC

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: April 15, 2009, 11:22:12 AM »

Fellow hams, I am sorry if I made no sence. Here goes with what I was trying to say. The referece to haveing to go thru the snow both directions up hill is from an old bill cosbey comedy routine about his parents complaing about how tough it was for them as kids going to school.  point 2.  the reference to dead horsse is about how the code test was suppose to have eliiminated the type of rude operators that the person complaining about was  talking about. I don't know if the person he talked about was old ham or not. If the ham passed a code test or not, or if he had to take the test the old fashion way. If he could hear other stations calling or not . That was the referece to not haveing a good reciver antenna ok ?. Yes it is a contest, andwhether we want to admit it or not , I have head people calling on top of each other , weather it be contesting, dx chaseing or whatever. Is it bad manners? you decide.  The referance to beating a dead horse, ? complaing about things we cannot change or have already taken place. ie. the code vs no code mannners morality filter .  Mabey indeed if the operator had his antenna pjointed away, he may not have heard the other stations , cut the guy some slack .  If he did , shame on him also . the qrp ref. what about JJ"old ham" or new useing cw and qrp power and busting a pileup with less than 10 watts?  I was makeing reference to complaing about how hard it is two break thu a pilup with low  power, as someone said patience , yes you may have to repeat call signs , even mention that you are qrp or mobile . I was joking that I wish I had the 100 watts and a dipole instead of my ten watts ok ? . Now if I ramble on , it may be becasue I fight adhd sometimes, have to organize my thoughts better, yes I wear hearing aids to but please no wine or cheese, I am ok with it , ok lon?   the other mis. post I had was to obama handling of the pirate episode, guess he let the navey handle it , I really thought he might appoint a tv charactor to handle it , but this time let the navy do there job. Perhaps someone downloaded some ronald reagan dna into his blackberry . if that offends obama supporters sorry , this is america last time I looked we had freedom of thought .  ok if anyone eles feeling hurt or cannot understand me sorry . other subjects. information in other  forums had been fantastic,new hams welcome , just wade thru the bs, and you will be ok .  The info on metal dectors , ect has been good , and other topics I brought up , someone must have been able to figure out what I was saying , to them I say thank you , others , as Lon would say  I don't care. About God haveing  mercy on  my soul , he sure does. He proved it when he died on the cross, and I accepted him. 73  God bless kg4ymc
Pages: [1] 2 Next   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: