Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: Prev 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: BAD HAM MANNERS  (Read 1145 times)
WG7X

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: April 16, 2009, 09:15:24 AM »

Terry...

What Lon is referring to is your rambling train wreck of thought.

If you really want folks to read your stuff, please learn at least the basics of punctuation, capitalization and correct use of paragraphs.

Then; get a spell checker and use it.

After that; use the "Preview" button correctly and proofread your post.

Otherwise, people will and do, skip right over your incoherent ramblings.

Just like I did...

73 Gary

PS: I actually read the last log post just to re-confirm initial feelings... yep, a train wreck.
W3LK

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: April 16, 2009, 11:28:25 AM »

Thanks, Gary.

I wanted to say that, but didn't want to sound like I was "dumping" on him.

Terry: ditto to what Gary said.

Lon - W3LK
Naugatuck, Connecticut

A smoking section in a restaurant makes as much sense as a peeing section in a swimming pool.
WL7BPY

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: April 22, 2009, 05:56:50 AM »

I don't think it is  " There is the kitchen door" issue.  It is more about working a DX station and working it like a HAM op should.  Many times I have heard the same thing if not worse. A station calling over and over and over , directly on top of a  station that did make the contact , even before the DX station has finished and returned to QRZ  mode. Yes. I will agree, that there are times it is very ruff on a pile up but if you can stay the course, conduct yourself properly, it just may pay off with a good DX contact under your belt.
W7IBI

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: April 23, 2009, 02:09:05 PM »

Pileups are not bad ham manners, they are a fact of operating.
You need to develop your pileup working SKILL to beat them and work the station.
When you have the skill, devote the time needed and you will make the contact and put it in the log.

Just because one passes all the tests, you're not a ham till you can successfully use the equipment.

Oh, and just because you can hear the needed station, and the operator you think is offending your sensibilities with his repeated call, that does not mean that the needed station can hear you. Consider the propagation maps and charts, time of day where everyone is, and the band you are on. There is more to it than just pushing the ON button.

Chris
W7IBI
G3RZP

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: April 23, 2009, 05:18:57 PM »

It can happen that you call, and during your call, the DX goes back to someone else. You stop transmitting, and the station the DX has gone back to is transmitting. You can't hear him so you assume the DX hasn't gone back to anybody and you start calling. You go to receive: the DX has started working someone else, and you can't hear him so you call again - and so on. This generally happens if you make your calls too long, especially if a part of the world you can't hear has a 'pipeline' to the DX. But you seem to be a real lid, calling on top of the DX. If you suspect this is the case, stop and listen for a few moments.
Pages: Prev 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: