Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: ok, its political  (Read 501 times)
KG4YMC

Ignore
« on: April 30, 2009, 01:27:42 PM »

Hey folks , just wanted to know if anyone remembers a decent fiat automobile. Them teaming up with chrysler will save them ?  I thought a backup plan ( if chapter 11  fails) would be for yugo to buy them out. 73 have a great weekend kg4ymc  what are they thinking?
W0FM

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: April 30, 2009, 02:17:09 PM »

This should be a Twitter thing, or an editorial to your local newspaper.

WB2WIK

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: April 30, 2009, 08:46:42 PM »

I imported a Fiat Tipo in 1990.  It was "Car of the Year" in most of Europe, track tested against BMW 3-series, Mercedes 300-series, and many others...and it beat them all.

I drove it on the Autobahn at 200 km/h+ for many hours (120 mph+) so I could bring it over here as a "used" car (to save the import fees).  It handled and accelerated like the BMW but was actually cheaper and more reliable.  I put 146,000 miles on it before it required any service (other than a new battery, two sets of tires, two sets of brakes, one new belt and several oil changes).

Fiat makes some very fine automobiles.  They are ubiquitous as taxi cabs all over Europe, and those guys put on 200-300K miles before they turn them in.

WB2WIK/6
N5LRZ

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: May 01, 2009, 08:22:56 AM »

I like/love puckup trucks.  I owned one passanger car in my life and there will never be another one ever.  

I do not care if my vehicle looks hot or not,  as long as it can haul a load of limbs, and other associated garbage to the trash dump.  I want a Working Vehicle NOT a pretty boy car.
WY3X

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: May 02, 2009, 09:33:04 AM »

No more pickups for me! Everybody wants to borrow either your truck, or you WITH your truck, to help move something. And when that happens, they don't know ANYONE else with a truck, only you, and PLEASE you MUST HELP THEM! Nope. No more pickup trucks for me. At least with my 4Runner SUV I can tell them it's full of tools and there's no room to haul anything (truth!).

As far as Fiat is concerned- I never really did think much of them- my first job was working in a REAL service station where we changed oil and tires, water pumps, a/c compressors, hoses, etc. in addition to pumping gas, cleaning windshields, and checking tires. Fiats of the early 1970's seemed to be pressed out of sheet metal, and certainly not worthy of being on an American highway. The paint always faded after two or three years on the ones I saw. Mechanically they reminded me of the MG Midget. But perhaps they've improved after 35 years...?

-KR4WM
WX7G

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: May 03, 2009, 08:01:16 AM »

Much of the prejudice against brand X or brand Y automobiles is based on old data.

Someone will say "I had a Ford so and so in 1975 and it was always in the shop." Well, things have changed in this industry.

Does it all come down to "brand equity?" In the U.S. Chrysler had enough brand equity to sell plenty of cars and trucks. Fiat does not have a good name in the U.S. As long as the Chrysler badge is not coupled to Fiat Chrysler will not be harmed in the U.S. market - I think.

Now as to how Chrysler got to where it is, and whether Fiat and their money (and U.S. goverment money) can rehabilitate it is another matter.
WX7G

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: May 03, 2009, 08:21:20 AM »

YMC, I have to admit I had the same response you did to the proposed merger. I thought it's like Sears and K-Mart merging - a bad idea.

So why 'save' Chrysler? I think that many of the Chrysler customers - the ones who want to buy American - will simply buy Chevy or Fords. So, no American jobs lost. The work and the workers will be displaced to other American companies.

This leads me to wonder just what is an American automobile? I was told that there is more U.S. content in an American built Honda or Toyota than there is in an American built Chevy. If true then what's the big deal about saving Chevy and Chrysler?
KI4ZSZ

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: May 03, 2009, 01:52:01 PM »

"This leads me to wonder just what is an American automobile? I was told that there is more U.S. content in an American built Honda or Toyota than there is in an American built Chevy. If true then what's the big deal about saving Chevy and Chrysler? "

It's true. The Big Three do a lot of their production outside of the US (my Chevy Silverado was made in Canada, and my dad's Suburban in Mexico). This isn't new, either, it's been going on for a while.

Many of the so-called "imports" are made right here in the USA, usually in the more Southern states. There's a BMW plant in SC. Toyota plants in Alabama and I think Tenessee. Others in other states. And they use parts made in the US.

NA0AA

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: May 03, 2009, 05:10:40 PM »

I sort of laugh.  My first car was a FIAT 124 Sport Spyder convertable with the 1.6 liter DOHC.

That was some car.  It was not a great car but it never actually stranded me, although it was close a couple of times!

But it was fun to drive in the summer with the top down back when I was 17.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: