Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: yaesu ft-1802m truns off on transmit...  (Read 672 times)
KB3SHV

Ignore
« on: May 16, 2009, 06:47:06 PM »

I have a new Yaesu FT-1802m with a 2m new base antenna. The power supply (7amp tripp lite)powers my 10 meter rig and my 2 meter (Of course not at the same time.) I transmit only on 5 watts but after transmitting a few minutes, when I key up the screen on my 2 meter goes blank and then turns back on without ever transmitting. Some one sugested I have rf in my power supply. Any solutions out there?
N5VTU

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2009, 07:58:05 PM »

Hi,
I suspect your power supply isn't supplying enough current, even though you are only running five watts on the FT-1802.  The 7 amp rating on your power supply is likely an ICS rating, not continuous current.  I'm also guessing that the 10m rig is being used on SSB which has a much lower duty cycle (and average current draw) that an FT-1802 which is an FM rig and draws full current (for a given power output setting) the moment you click the PTT.  Try a larger power supply or even connect to a battery temporarily to see if the problem goes away.  RF feedback is not out of the question (assuming your antenna is presenting a 50 Ohm load to the radio), but is not usually a problem on VHF/UHF like it is on HF.

Good luck
K3WVU

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2009, 05:54:04 PM »

Sounds definitely like a power supply problem.  To be safe, you need to have one that supplies 10-12 continuous amps.
KB3SHV

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: May 20, 2009, 04:44:37 AM »

I think my problem was the power supply as the bong sounded and my new Astron RS 35 powered up the Yaesu no longer cuts out. Thanks for your all the good advice?
K7KBN

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: May 20, 2009, 05:39:47 PM »

Did the bong have anything to do with it?  Wink

Pat K7KBN
CWO4 USNR Ret.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: