Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 Next   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: CHEAP UHF Radios For GMRS/HAM  (Read 3580 times)
KB1OCC

Ignore
« on: December 29, 2008, 06:47:22 AM »

Can anyone recommend a cheap (used) UHF radio that is capable for handling the ham bands and GMRS bands?  It also needs to be able to be cheaply programmed (cheap interface cable/software or field programmable).  

I would guess a non-amateur, commercial radio would be legal for both bands in which I possess the neccessary two licenses for.

I would like to spend less than $100 for a used rig with at least 16 channels.
KB9CRY

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: December 29, 2008, 08:37:09 AM »

I've never seen any.
WB2WIK

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: December 29, 2008, 03:23:51 PM »

Ham rigs don't require certification, but GMRS rigs do and you won't find any lawfully on the American market that are user alterable with respect to frequency.

You can't use a ham rig on GMRS (except to receive).  Obviously, that would be highly illegal (to transmit).

WB2WIK/6
KB1OCC

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: December 29, 2008, 06:05:52 PM »

I realize that.  I was looking to get a commercial rig and program it for GMRS and HAM frequencies, not the other way around.
KG4RUL

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: December 29, 2008, 06:31:17 PM »

I don't believe that a certified GMRS radio can be produced with field programming capabilities.
KB1OCC

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: December 29, 2008, 07:49:34 PM »

Just purchased one off of eBay for $77 (incl shipping)

Kenwood TK-805D
16 channels
Field programmable
W3LK

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: December 30, 2008, 07:46:14 AM »

Are you sure that radio is certified for GMRS usage. Just because it may cover the required frequency range doesn't mean that it's certified for GMRS.

Lon - W3LK
Naugatuck, Connecticut

A smoking section in a restaurant makes as much sense as a peeing section in a swimming pool.
KG4RUL

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: December 30, 2008, 10:47:08 AM »

The key word is "certified" GMRS radio.  Read the FCC specs and you will see that you cannot have a field programmable, certified GMRS radio.
W9IQ

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: December 30, 2008, 05:30:45 PM »

There are radios that can be dual or multi certified to include GRMS but not with Amateur or MARS service. Programmable radios are allowed with restrictions.

Here is the wording from CFR 47 95.665(a and b):

(a)...no transmitter will be certificated for use in the GMRS if it is equipped with a frequency capability not listed in ยง 95.621, unless such transmitter is also certificated for use in another radio service for which the frequency is authorized and for which certification is also required.

(Transmitters with frequency capability for the Amateur Radio Services and Military Affiliate Radio System will not be certificated.)

(b) All frequency determining circuitry (including crystals) and programming controls in each CB transmitter and in each GMRS transmitter must be internal to the transmitter and must not be accessible from the exterior of the transmitter operating panel or from the exterior of the transmitter enclosure.

As a fall back, an Amateur transceiver that is "opened up" would be allowed on GRMS but only under the emergency provisions of the amateur regulations, not for general use. These are clearly very restrictive provisions and may not fit your intended purpose.

- Glenn W9IQ
W3LK

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: December 30, 2008, 07:36:31 PM »

Considering that OCC hasn't been back since he announced his purchase, I have a feeling he doesn't care if the rig is GMRS certified or not, as long as he can transmit on both services.

Lon - W3LK
Naugatuck, Connecticut

A smoking section in a restaurant makes as much sense as a peeing section in a swimming pool.
KB1OCC

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: December 31, 2008, 04:33:56 AM »

W3LK - Give me a break - I don't monitor these forumns 24x7!

I appreciate the responses of those with constructive answers.  I have not yet received the radio, but I would say that based upon the answers above, I'll be using the rig as an additional UHF ham rig and not as a GMRS/ham rig.  Perhaps I could use it to set up an Echolink node!

The strange part is that this particular radio is one of the more popular ones used by members of the GMRS forums and "Popular Wireless".  

Happy New Year and 73's
KB1OCC
W9IQ

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: December 31, 2008, 06:28:19 AM »

Hi Brian,

Another approach would be to check with Kenwood or your FCC field office to see if the Kenwood TK-805D is GMRS certified. While the GMRS community could be turning a blind eye, you might be pleasantly surprised.

If it is GMRS certified and you can add amateur frequencies to the programming without otherwise modifying the radio, I am not aware of anything that would prohibit the dual use you are seeking. Just don't forget to obtain your GMRS license!

Have fun,

- Glenn W9IQ
W9IQ

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: December 31, 2008, 06:33:34 AM »

Hi Brian,

A quick check of your FRN shows you already have the GMRS license. I hope the radio works out for you.

- Glenn W9IQ
EC158

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: December 31, 2008, 07:34:52 AM »

My vx-5r works great on gmrs, frs, murs as well as the ham bands.
W3LK

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: December 31, 2008, 07:51:56 AM »

Brian,

I apologize.

Lon - W3LK
Naugatuck, Connecticut

Pages: [1] 2 3 Next   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: