Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: RUDE Behavior on 10 meters.  (Read 716 times)
W0DV

Ignore
« on: June 07, 2009, 07:57:34 PM »

I would like constructive criticism of what I could of done better in this situation. Was I at fault? Did I deserve it?
This is what happened. I was transmitting a "dead key" on AM near 28.400. I was checking the SWR on several different antennas on and was in the process of setting up a new vertical for 10 meters. At the end of one "dead key", I said "KR0V Testing".
I heard another transmission on SSB after the 3rd dead key, I switched to SSB and there was another radio operator yelling at me. All I caught was..."go back to 11 meters where you came from...there is no excuse, no excuse for doing that, get a dummy load" I asked him what the hell his problem was and he said.."You have to be a democrat, one of those Obama lovers". I explained to him that I was tuning some antennas and I apologized if I offened him. He just kept ranting about how I should go back to 11 meters.
I have no idea who he was, this happened today. I didn't notice any propagation on 10 meters so I figured it had to be local. I gave him my callsign and asked what his was....silence. Then after a few moments he said he was WA5..something, but I didn't believe him. I suspect he made the call up as it didn't belong to this area and there are no "WA5's" that live close to me.
I checked the frequency before I started my testing, no response, it was clear.

Did I deserve this B.S.? I do not use 10 meters often, very seldom. I'm usually on 40 or 20. Is this kind of behavior observed often on 10 meters?

KR0V
N3DF

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: June 08, 2009, 06:45:03 AM »

No excuse at all for the other ham's behavior.  However, I trust that you first asked if the frequency was in use?  And that your "dead key" transmissions to determine SWR were at most a couple of seconds in duration?

Neil N3DF
K7UNZ

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: June 08, 2009, 07:10:08 AM »

Shrug it off Dave, you did nothing wrong.  As you said, you checked the freq first, made some key-down tests, and ID was made.

You just encountered one of the many idiots the occupy the bands....no band or mode is immune.

73, Jim/k7unz
KB9CRY

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: June 08, 2009, 09:31:59 AM »

No escuse as long as you IDed occasionally and asked if the frequency was in use before you started.  Don't lose any sleep over it.

Also know you were testing on one of the 10M "calling frequencies".  Maybe 395 or 405 would have been a better choice just in case.
WG7X

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: June 08, 2009, 07:08:36 PM »

Dave,

Rude behavior is everywhere...

I always assume that the band is open and ID at the end of every test transmission.

The way ten has been in the last few weeks, it is very likely that there might have been north-south propagation. We get that almost every late spring early-summer.

Rudeness is in the eye of the beholder. It is very possible the rude fellow was exactly zero beat on your AM signal but still did not hear the ID.

Anything is possible, but of course that does not excuse the bad behavior. I would agree that ten meters is no better or no worse than any other band in this respect, except that there are probably a few more eleven meters refugees there who have brought their poor operating practices with them.

The other refugees are on twenty!

73 Gary
CROWBAR

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: June 09, 2009, 04:52:17 AM »

Typically there far less asses on 10M than any other band. (when the band is open - obviously) But occasionally you run across one of these peckerheads.
There was a 5-call several years ago who lived on .385, I think, that claimed to own the frequency.

Ignore this dude. He is not a typical example of 10 meter operators.

Sorry to had the encounter

WB2WIK

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: June 09, 2009, 09:25:39 AM »

This is why I use an MFJ antenna analyzer, rather than a transmitter, to test and tune my antennas.  Nobody can hear it!

But the station as reported sounds like a nutcase.

He may very well have been a "5," the 10m band has been open for Sporadic-E skip every single day for the past few weeks.

WB2WIK/6
WA2DTW

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: June 09, 2009, 11:56:00 AM »

I fully agree that the other station's behavior was rude and inappropriate.  And maybe he  doesn't like AM.
However- on 10M, you may be able to hear only one end of a conversation because of skip conditions.  Listening may not be enough.   Did you ask if the frequency was in use?

Steve WA2DTW
ONAIR

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: June 10, 2009, 11:57:13 PM »

I still don't understand why the other ham was linking Obama lovers and Democrats with 11 meter users!
WB5JEO

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: June 11, 2009, 07:38:14 PM »

He may well have been a renegade CBer himself. But to be fair, he was probably just a butthead. After near 40 years, I've come to understand that there seems to be a fairly fixed percentage of troubled cranks on the air. And I swear it seems that every city with a repeater must be required to have one seriously disturbed nut. When one nut drops off the tree, another takes his place. I had been off VHF for many years and got back on a couple of weeks ago and it sounded like the resident old nut from the 70's had been reincarnated. The salvation is that every radio made today has a frequency control.
K5END

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: June 11, 2009, 08:59:37 PM »

>
"I still don't understand why the other ham was linking Obama lovers and Democrats with 11 meter users!"

Sounds like the other (angry) un-named OM has more "issues" than National Geographic, poor self esteem, xenophobia, psychotic paranoia, neurotransmitter instability and just a wee bit fast on the serotonin uptake.

You know, "just a butthead."
W7ETA

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: June 12, 2009, 12:20:18 AM »

You might be a little low on 28.4 Mcs to use AM?
One nice thing about CW key down is that it is easy to follow it with t e s t de W7ETA

Unfortunately, when 10 opens, one hears a lot of AM from illegals, especially truckers.

The other op might have unloaded both barrels upon you thinking you were a trucker?

bob
WX7G

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: June 12, 2009, 10:37:33 AM »

Poor behavior on fone is one reason why I operate exclusively CW.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: