Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Little Print Shop!  (Read 3959 times)
WA8MEA

Ignore
« on: June 10, 2009, 10:21:12 AM »

How many of you remember "The Little Print Shop"?

I opened an envelope today and knew right away it was a card by "The Little Print Shop"!  Nice memories!!  This fella must've ordered a ton of these.  Although just a slight bit yellowish, it was remarkably well preserved.  He probably keeps them in an airtight container.

73, Bill - WA8MEA
« Last Edit: December 22, 2010, 03:26:08 PM by Bill Lauterbach » Logged
WB5JEO

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: June 15, 2009, 01:00:09 PM »

The Little Print Shop was often a new ham's first notification of his new call, since they often managed to mail a solicitation (with the new call) before the FCC mailing arrived. You can pretty well pick the LPC-printed cards off the wall on sight from the saturated colors of the polished paper stock and the fonts and layouts they offered. I probably still have some of my WN5JEO novice cards from the 70's in a drawer somewhere.
W2JLB

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: June 17, 2009, 11:35:43 AM »

I purchase my first QSL cards from the Little Print Shop. When I went for my second batch they had sold out to another outfit. Got my second batch from them because they were able to exactly replicate my original.
WA2EHV

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: June 26, 2012, 08:10:39 PM »

Oh, the Little Print Shop must certainly be included in ham radio history.  We'd most often learn our new callsigns from the Little Print Shop mailing!  Those sure were simpler times.  The LPS printed my first QSLs when I was 18, and now that I'm 61, I remember those earlier times with happiness.  73 from WA2EHV (ex WN2JHS)
K7MH

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: June 30, 2012, 09:56:33 AM »

We'd most often learn our new callsigns from the Little Print Shop mailing!
Their QSL samples would show up a week or more before your license did...SHEER TORTURE!!
WA2EHV

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: July 01, 2012, 06:55:34 PM »

So, does anyone know when the Little Print Shop closed?  Their QSLs were unique and a part of our history.  I see ads for two QSL printers in our magazines, and I hope they continue to be successful.  I miss the "look" of the LPS cards.
73, WA2EHV
K7MH

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: July 01, 2012, 11:51:10 PM »

I miss C. Fritz of Scottsdale Arizona.
He used to print the best looking QSL cards out there.
Expensive though.
WX7G

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: July 02, 2012, 05:13:28 AM »

Ah I remember the Little Print Shop. In 1969 I got a note from them a couple of days before I got my Novice license from the FCC. I wanted to operate then and there but was afraid there might be a mistake and I'd be operating with the wrong call. I was 12 at the time. Anyway, I waited to go on the air and soon ordered QSL cards from the Little Print Shop.
KI4SDY

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: July 02, 2012, 08:11:22 PM »

The problem with quality small businesses is that they usually die with the owner. Sometimes they are bought out by a competitor to ensure that they will be closed down. I can't even count all the small businesses that I exclusively traded with, from the time I was in elementary school until the time I was in business for myself, that have disappeared. I am sure that when something happens to me, my small business will be closed forever as well. Hopefully, my loyal customers will remember me fondly, as I will of them. I regretfully lose some on an annual basis, as we are all getting older. Cry

Having said that, when I needed my first QSL cards for myself and the lady ham in the house, I entered "Cheap QSL Cards" in the search engine and found a great provider of custom cards at very reasonable rates. We were able to pick 100 cards that list both our calls on one card, in antique yellow stock, for $13.99. They provided very fast shipping. The cards look like they are 20 years old, but they are new. We love them! They have many styles and options to satisfy any taste. Take a look if you need QSL cards. I recommend them!  Grin     
WB6THE

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: July 03, 2012, 01:31:15 PM »

My WN6THE Novice ticket arrived early June, 1966. No amateur radio mail
before the license arrived but the very day I received the envelope
from the FCC there was also a sample QSL card from Little Print Shop.
All my buddies knew their callsign about a week before their license
arrived.

Alan
WB6THE
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: