Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Be vigilant and shop ...  (Read 478 times)
KJ4DKJ

Ignore
« on: June 21, 2009, 07:51:39 AM »

Good morning fellow Hams ...

Word to the wise about whom you shop with for your gear, even if you have dealt with them in the past!

My recent experience dictates that one must always cross check your retailers/wholesales to verify that the deal is actually a deal.

I budgeted a little over $16,000 to equip a new shack.  I went with a widely advertised outlet for a quote that I ultimately accepted.  The sales person took my debit card and suggested that I wait until the following Friday when the Cleveland Hamfest conviened for the discounts Icom would be offering.

After the products were discounted, I gave the go ahead.  Later, after comparing with other outlets on the Net, I found that I wasn't given the full coupon discount on the Icom gear, only about $300 of the $1,000 offered by Icom.

On the following Monday I called my vendor and canceled the entire order stating that I found a better deal ... the full discount on the coupons offered by Icom!

They told me one of the antennas had been shipped.  I stated that I would accept it. A few days later I got a call from a 'gentleman' who identified himself as the regional director for this outlet.  He asked that I explain what happened.  After doing so he apologised profusely and told me he would wouldn't charge me for the antenna to demonstrate his sincerity.  I told him that this was not necessary, however he insisted.

As a token of my good faith I told him to have his sales person contact me and I would reinstate my order except for the Icom gear as I purchased this from the other retailer and couldn't, in good conscience, cancel the order.  He agreed and stated that he would personally work with the sales rep. to get this going.

Evidently, this wasn't enough.  I never heard anything more from this vendor, my money was refunded except for the shipping fees and the cost of the antenna.

The incident with the antenna is negligable, however cenveying the message of the experience to all who are watching their budgets in these times is priceless.

Merv Hart
KJ4DKJ
K7UNZ

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: June 21, 2009, 12:43:36 PM »

Merv....

The problem with your post is that YOU do not identify the company involved, which contributes nothing to being able to cross-check dealer validity.

In other words, you suggest we do it, but then withhold the very information we would need to do it.

73, Jim/k7unz
AA4PB

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: June 21, 2009, 02:28:53 PM »

In other words, no matter how familiar you are with a dealer, be sure to check with others before placing an order. Just because he had the best price once doesn't necessarily mean he'll beat it every time.

To go further, be sure to check not only the price of the main item like the transceiver, but also the cost of accessories like filters. In the past I've found that the dealer who gives the best price on the radio often tries to make it up with a higher price on accessories for that radio.

You also may want to consider the value of service, if that is important to you. Maybe its worth paying a little more for the dealer who will let you come in and operate several brands on the air before making a purchase decision. It may be worth paying a little more from a dealer who also offers good "in store" repair service.
KE4DRN

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: June 21, 2009, 05:32:19 PM »

hi,

for a small purchase, debit cards are fine,
otherwise avoid using them.

Debit cards do not have the same consumer protection
that credit cards do, each product has different bank
regulations.  they banks push them on us because they
make big profits on the float and service charges
paid by the merchant.  They are know in the trade as
fake visa or fake mastercard.

merchants banks can take weeks to credit back funds
from a debit card transaction, sometimes double posting
will cause your account to go negative
and trigger massive bank fees and returned checks.

some cards, like amex will double
the manufacturer warranty when new items are purchased.

73 james
KJ4DKJ

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: June 22, 2009, 04:52:39 PM »

HRO ...  I was concerned with legal issues.

Be Vigilant!
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: