The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

donate to eham
   Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Iran...Elections...Where's the Ham Radio?  (Read 1809 times)
KB1NXJ

Ignore
« on: June 19, 2009, 11:11:22 PM »

Longtime visitor of eham (My dad K5ZD's still on the Board, I think) but I've never posted. Figured this would be the place to put out a question/idea to the Ham community at large.

Everyone by now knows about the crises and protests in Iran over the "suspected" election (I will refrain from stating "obviously rigged") last week. I have read numerous articles detailing how international supporters are setting up proxy servers to route Iranian protestor  internet traffic out of the country to use Twitter, Facebook, etc. Twitter in particular has gotten a lot of publicity out of its use in the situation. The BBC World Service just announced that to counteract interference to their broadcasts from inside the country, they're refocusing a number of their satellites to combat things and make sure the news gets in. There are tons of Youtube videos of protesters marching in the streets and other images.

For some reason, it seems like technology and its applications and contributions to the election crisis are either being disproportionately highlighted, or, they are actually having quite a measurable effect.

MY question is, in all of this, where is amateur radio? I realize that, especially in Iran, the internet is far more accessible and democratic a resource (35% of the country uses it) than ham radio (Iran's not quite North Korea/P5, but I'm sure it's close and there aren't that many EP2's.). But, it seems like there ought to be some contribution our hobby is or could make. That's the whole rallying cry, right? "When All Else Fails!" Well, an entire country is up in arms over a contested election, and the authority-influenced and controlled telecommunications networks are compromised to a large degree. Seems like 2 guys in different countries with transceivers and wires sticking out the back on the airwaves is the perfect, reliable, ad-hoc method of communicating and getting news in and out without worry from the authorities-that-be!

So I ask, where is it? Has anyone heard of any recent Iranian Ham activity? Has the Voice of America amped up broadcasts to Iran like the BBC? (heck, maybe VOA doesn't even broadcast to Iran - not like we have an embassy there or anything [though we should])

KB1NXJ
Andrew Thompson
W7ETA

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: June 20, 2009, 06:11:28 PM »

You seem to be confusing The ARRL and the dictatorship of Iran.

"When All Else Fails!"--ARRL

Death to America--Iran
G3RZP

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: June 21, 2009, 02:20:45 AM »

Over there, staying off the air probably equates pretty well to staying alive.
KB1ROP

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: June 21, 2009, 07:05:02 PM »

Hi Andrew,

I've had the same thought as you....
Seems from what I have been able to read on the internet from a few different sources, our licensed Iranian counterparts are practically non existent.

Here's a few links I've come across...

http://www.dxholiday.com/as/ep.htm

http://www.qsl.net/oh2mcn/ep.htm

http://forums.radioreference.com/amateur-radio-general-discussion/148508-ham-iran.html

http://tehranshake.wordpress.com/2007/07/12/hoomans-thoughts-on-emergency-management-and-amateur-radio/

http://www.eham.net/articles/7326

I am sure there are some pirate operators, but it seems the ruling Mullahs for the most part of shut down this line of communication.

However, maybe some sort of Echolink / proxy server link is order....

Seems the current state of Amateur radio in Iran is sort of an ARRL worst nightmare.

KB1ROP
Bill
KB1ROP

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: June 21, 2009, 07:14:18 PM »

Andrew,

Upon further reflection, maybe our brothers in Iran's immediate neighborhood might be in better position to let us know who is OTA overthere....

From wikipedia..... http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Iran

Iran is bordered on the north by Armenia, Azerbaijan and Turkmenistan. As Iran is a littoral state of the Caspian Sea, which is an inland sea and condominium, Kazakhstan and Russia are also Iran's direct neighbors to the north. Iran is bordered on the east by Afghanistan and Pakistan, on the south by the Persian Gulf and the Gulf of Oman, and on the west by Turkey and Iraq.

If you, or anyone else has contacts in these areas, press them on this....

Let's open this up here....

I am a new ham, and I still only have FM 2 meter equipment, but I'd like to try and do something.....

KB1ROP
-Bill
KB1ROP

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: June 21, 2009, 07:30:25 PM »

Andrew,

Passed along our thread here to the ARRL brass....
along with a plea for some guidance to the membership as a whole here.
Seems like there must be something organized and open we as hams can contribute here.
Thanks for posting.

KB1ROP
-Bill
KC2UGV

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: June 22, 2009, 06:14:31 AM »

If anyone out there is a tech head (Computer wise), you can help:

http://proxyheap.austinheap.com/phase1.php

If you have a computer, and a broadband connection, set up an internet proxy to help get information out of there.

As for ham radio, I doubt we can get any equipment in there now.  In this case, I wouldn't mind some radio pirates operating out of there.
WB5JEO

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: June 22, 2009, 10:44:43 AM »

Amateur radio in Iran is very limited, and most amateur stations have long been officially sealed. It's not like Kuwait where a few managed to stay on the air during the Iraqi invasion when the Iraqis visited every licensee, one notably who put out junk equipment to be confiscated and build a false basement wall to hide his packet station to provide almost the only reliable news through a U.S. Navy operator and a U.S. ham. Kuwait had an active amateur community. There was never much in Iran, fewer when you cast out the old calls held by foreign nationals.

And, as you point out, the Internet and cell phones are easier to use and more easy to evade retaliation. There would be an immediate presumption of counter-revolutionary intent if an Iranian were caught on the air today, and with the desire to put this up as a Western-inspired insurrection and covert radio being the traditional mode for spies, the charge would be espionage, the gear the primary physical evidence, and death the sentence.
WW5AA

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: June 22, 2009, 11:15:52 AM »

Who cares? One bunch of Islamic terrorists against another bunch of Islamic terrorists. These folks have been fighting each other for thousands of years. I have the solutions but I better not espouse on them here or the inept Janet Ann Napolitano might try to find me in a Google search.

73 de Lindy
KB1OCC

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: June 22, 2009, 12:30:32 PM »

I guess the Iranian government has already picked the winners of the next several presidential elections...

What a sad mess.
W7ETA

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: June 22, 2009, 09:12:48 PM »

Uuuum.  ARRL, is AMERICAN Radio Relay League.  It doesn't have anything to do with the government of Iran, Yemen, North Korea, etc.

When countries that forbid ham radio started to allow it, like China, it was sans ARRL involvement.

When the USSR decided all of their hams had to use PO Box 88, with the exception of a few hams on Shakalin Island (Military), all QSLs had to go to PO Box 88.  When one talked with USSR hams, one respected that their government had strong repercussions in mind if their hams ventured into forbidden topics, let alone broadcasting about insurrections.

For that matter, if the USA gov decides to either limit or restrict hams, they do that via the FCC, not The ARRL.

Bob
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: