Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Wideband Allmode mobile vs base?  (Read 883 times)
KI4YHE

Ignore
« on: June 25, 2009, 11:01:10 PM »

What are the diffrences in performance, etc of a allmode/bander like the IC-706 and FT-857 versus base stations that are 12VDC.

$1,000 vs $2-10K I'm sure there has to be more of a diffrence then just bigger screens, and more meters... 12V matters because I will soon live in an RV and 'shore' power isnt going to be handy.  Size is also a factor I won't have a large dedicated area to work with, however I can stash various things around or something...

I'm just trying to understand the diffrence to see which is best for me and I've found no real laymens information out there.

Thanks for your time.
K9KJM

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: June 25, 2009, 11:52:50 PM »

If I were going to put but one radio in an RV, it would be a Kenwood TS 2000.  The only radio on the market that can do with it can. Actually two radios in one box, that can cross band repeat, Not only VHF to UHF, But from HF as well!

The Icom 706 and Yaesu 857 type radios are mostly menu driven, Somewhat smaller in size, And are only one radio in the box........  (If you are using it on VHF for example, you will not hear HF, etc)

My favorites for somewhat better performance on HF are the Icom 756PRO series radios.
And the Yaesu FT 8800 dual band for VHF/UHF mobil.
KI4YHE

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: June 26, 2009, 12:11:41 AM »

I'm trying to figure out what is best so I can make my own decision, I'll chalk up crossband repeat as one of them, but that feature is not worth $1000 on its own, AFAIK... and its definatly not to me...

Apparently somewhat better filters, however I have no idea what this would do, or why they are needed.... This is the type of information I need. I know they filter better, I just don't know how much this helps, no real first hand experience, or to what degree this would help... Nor do I know how much the optional filters would help, etc...
KI4YHE

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: June 26, 2009, 12:18:49 AM »

I forgot to mention that size here matters, the controll surfaces for the sake of argument do not.

For in the RV I can hook up a comptuer to it and have a similar interface if its required....
KV9U

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: June 27, 2009, 09:01:23 PM »

One of the main differences between base and mobile rigs of similar price is the larger size. More expensive base rigs tend to have improved receiver performance. The Yaesu 857D and ICOM 706 series are moderate performers but are actually quite good for the price.

If you want to operate CW or digital modes, then the filtering can be of increased importance. The more expensive rigs have DSP filters which means you don't have to buy any optional filters, which are very expensive and each discrete filter is good for only one bandwidth, e.g, 500 Hz for CW/Digital, or perhaps 1.8 KHz for very tight phone bandwidth for contesting or DXing competitively.

Many of the base rigs are primarily designed for HF use although in recent years 6 meters has become technically possible to add to most rigs now.

A very good all purpose mobile type rig is the ICOM IC-7000. Very nice display, moderately good receiver for that price class, and DSP filtering that is adjustable for many different settings to meet your preferences once you have this capability.

My wife has a couple of 7000's and I have an ICOM 756 Pro III and 746 Pro for main rigs. I like the 756 Pro series as good all around rigs although a bit large if you want a smaller form factor.

Using Ham Radio Deluxe, you have nearly complete computer control of any of these rigs and many other modern rigs that can interface with a computer.

We are very fortunate to have so much low cost equipment compared to the way it was when I was first licensed in the early 1960's.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: