The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

donate to eham
   Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Dedicated HF receiver vs. modern transceiver  (Read 2308 times)
KC8HNZ

Ignore
« on: July 03, 2009, 06:56:58 PM »

For the most part I am more of a listener then a talker in my radio activites. I personally find more enjoyment in tuning around on the shortwave bands looking for the 'odd' signal, aka utilities, number stations and their ilk. I do however enjoy a qso every now and then when the mood hits me. Recently I've been looking to upgrade my station and I'm not able to decide on which path to take. I currently have a simple FT-100D that I use as my main radio and the receiver just isn't that hot with my antenna set up (seperate 80,40 and 20 meter dipoles) but for trasmitting it suits my needs just fine. So, I'm wondering if its worth getting a dedicated receiver just for swl or just getting a modern tranceiver with a better ear. Does a dedicated receiver usually out perform most modern tranceivers? (Note: $1500-2000 price range, not some WJ materpiece!)
WB2WIK

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: July 03, 2009, 09:37:03 PM »

I would say, "no."

The FT100D is pretty limited.  Many HF transceivers will greatly outperform its receiver.  Instead of a "mobile rig" (which is the FT100D), look for a "full sized" home station transceiver with better specifications, as they will almost all have.

In the $1500-$2000 range, you'll get a "used" rig that is far better than a new one.  However, if you use the setup at home only and never take it portable, and don't mind having it continuously tied to a PC, the Flex Radio SDRs are phenomenal SW receivers but they require a fairly sophisticated PC and sound card to function.

WB2WIK/6
N9DG

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: July 04, 2009, 11:32:10 AM »

The upcoming Flex-1500 QRP transceiver at around $5-600 plus a decent $3-500 computer will get you a RX that will blow the doors off of a FT-100 for performance. And along with that you'll get a sate of the art waterfall/panadapter display. A display that even the $10K import transceivers can't match for speed and sensitivity. Also note that none of the current production model Flex's require a sound card, all the D to A and A to D is in the radio itself. Only the Flex SDR-1000 required a sound card to operate.

And finally, you don't need some expensive, "high powered" PC to run these things, that's old incorrect information. Any mainstream "best bang for the buck" PC you buy today will do the job just fine. And you won't need to spend more than $500 to get one.

Some other possibilities for state of the art RX only SDR's are the Perseus, SDR-IQ, and QS1R. Do some web searching and you find the info on all these possible options..
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: