Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Anderson Tapes movie  (Read 624 times)
WA9APL

Ignore
« on: May 28, 2009, 03:05:17 PM »

What was the Ham Radio call sign used and the brand of radio transeiver used in the movie "The Anderson Tapes" ?   The parapalegic young boy saved the day by calling for help on the radio in his bedroom closet, which led to the cops arriving to foil the robbery.   The movie was recently shown on Turner Classic Movies.
AC4RD

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: June 17, 2009, 02:44:53 PM »

I've never seen the movie.  I've got a copy of the novel around here somewhere, and after I saw this message, I tried to find it, with no luck.  I'm more than a little surprised that nobody else has replied to this one, yet.  :-)  

Have you noticed in how many books, movies, TV shows, the plots depended on not being able to use a phone, and they wouldn't work the same way now that everybody has a cellphone in his pocket?
AD7DB

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: June 20, 2009, 05:32:21 PM »

I recently saw the original Rat Pack version of "Oceans 11."  Back in the days when making a long distance call usually meant having an operator make the call and call you back when the party is reached, Duke (Cesar Romero) was practically chained to his phone for a while with all the calls he was making or expecting. The robbers also made use of convenient payphones at times. I was thinking that if they all had modern-day cellphones, things would have gone a lot smoother than they did!
ONAIR

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: June 30, 2009, 07:52:52 PM »

I remember seeing that movie at the Whitestone Drive In somewhere around 1970!  My date kept me kinda busy, so I missed most of it! Smiley
WA8FOZ

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: July 05, 2009, 07:20:46 PM »

I think the rig was an HW-101. Don't remember the call sign.

Bill
AC4RD

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: July 07, 2009, 09:25:15 AM »

I found my copy of the novel last night; didn't read the whole thing, obviously, but I scanned all of the radio scenes.  In the novel, there was no mention of callsigns and no mention of equipment or frequencies.  The novel says several different people heard the distress call and called their local police, some identified by name, but no callsigns, and nothing about the gear used.  The only specific was that the kid who made the call used a separate receiver and transmitter--not surprising considering the period the book was written.
WA9APL

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: July 07, 2009, 11:39:31 AM »

AC4RD,  Thanks for the update.   They took more time to develop the HAM part of the story in the movie.   I definitely saw the 2 radios in the closet and heard the kid calling either CQ or MAYDAY, I forget which, in the movie.   I should have TIVOed it, but didnt think fast enough.   The movie will probably be shown again next year on TCM .
Thanks for your interest.
AL - WA9APL
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: