Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: To All VEs......  (Read 391 times)
KD8ERE

Ignore
« on: July 08, 2009, 02:07:47 PM »

I'm currently studying for my Extra class. Using QRZ, I'm doing great on the first test,  but I seem to be having trouble with the others. I'm curious; how many tests are there for Extra? Besides QRZ and hamtestonline.com, are there any other good ways to study for this test? Thanks!
W5RB

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: July 08, 2009, 03:14:02 PM »

Depending on how your particular VE team prepares its tests, there are potentially a near infinite number of exams.The Extra pool is quite large , something over 700 questions, deliberately to keep anyone from just learning the test. The point being, you just need to KNOW the material,as opposed to just learning the test.

Some people prefer to use the practice tests on www.aa9pw.com  , which allow you to focus on particular parts of the pool that you're having trouble with.I found  the Gordon West books very helpful for all 4 tests that I took, but that's been a few years ago.

Take your time. You'll get there.Understanding the testing process , and using that to your advantage is OK , but there's no substitute for understanding the material. Good luck on your upgrade.

Russ, W5RB
KB1LKR

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: July 08, 2009, 03:19:57 PM »

http://aa9pw.com/  and here, http://www.eham.net/exams/

Practice on them all as each site seems to have some bias to some questions over others, that way you'll better identify your weak areas.  

Other than that, know your theory, e.g. parallel/series RCL circuits and admittance/impedance problem solution & memorize as many of the rules/regulations that appear in the question set as you can, e.g. the number of months prior to launch of an amateur satellite that a pre-launch information filing must be made: 27 months.
N5LRZ

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: July 09, 2009, 09:02:10 AM »

There is only one official question pool from which all tests are formed.  Test questions adminsitered are worded exactly as as the test pool.  The only thing that may change is the order of te replies which sometimes gets changed around in order.

Basicly learn the entire question pool..OR enough of it to get a passing grade.

There are VEC Pre printed written tests in various versions provided to the VEs by the VECs and some testing teams use computer generated individual tests generated by a computer program.

Either way you should study the entire pool of questions AND STUDTY THE THEORY MATERIAL in the front as well.  Knowing the theory material helps to make an educated guess.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: