Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Regulatory issue  (Read 368 times)
KJ4MPW

Ignore
« on: July 08, 2009, 04:51:41 AM »

Would using amateur radio for communications regarding a non-profit organisation of which I am a member of the board (I don't receive a salary) be a violation of 97.113?
AA4PB

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: July 08, 2009, 05:31:52 AM »

Being a member of the board would not prevent you from participating in any otherwise permitted amateur radio activity. The only question is whether the use of amateur radio is permitted to support the activity.
W5RB

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: July 08, 2009, 05:34:40 AM »

You're going to need to be more specific about the nature of the communication.What sort of content? How often ? What bands? Even if it's a non-profit ,regular operational communications should be done by other means, as a matter of courtesy , if not regulation.
WB5JEO

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: July 09, 2009, 08:01:10 PM »

I think that's the best answer. Regular operations, such as coordinating daily deliveries of meals to the elderly, might be considered questionable but arguably isn't technically different from special event support. But I would say that, given the availability of other radio services, it would fall under "(5) Communications, on a regular basis, which could reasonably be furnished alternatively through other radio services."

They used to argue this issue a lot with regard to missionary organizations that conducted their operational communications on HF.

But merely the fact that you hold a non-paying  board position has no effect. I'm assuming, of course, that it's not being used for any kind of sales. Even a non-profit engaging in sales is commerce.
KB9CRY

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: July 10, 2009, 07:16:46 AM »

Yes, it is still a business and amateur radio specifically prohibits this. Being nonprofit doesn't enter into the equation.
N5LRZ

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: July 11, 2009, 07:31:15 AM »

CRY, above is correct IF one uses it in their day to day operations.  

However IF there is a "Special Event" and the use of Ameteur Radio is strictly for the health and welfare aka safety of those attnding (hooking up lost children with parents, medical emergencies, and other such safety issues) AND of course those helping did not receive any compensation for their services the the use of Amateur Radio would be allowed.

Keep in mind the use should be for a Special Event, public safety and possible crowd emergency situations and not loggistical support.

Loggistical support for any activity should be done thru other services.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: