The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

donate to eham
   Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Noise on 20m  (Read 875 times)
KE4VBG

Ignore
« on: July 09, 2009, 07:21:59 PM »

Is it something just in my area or does anyone else hear the noises on 20m during the night. Sometimes it sounds like water gushing and sometimes it sounds like a diesel engine running. It is located a several spots on the band. It's S9+.  Any Ideas?

Doug KE4VBG
WB5JEO

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: July 09, 2009, 07:39:43 PM »

No. 20 is, as it usually is, pretty quiet. Some noises that could be described as you have described have been run back to faulty switching power supplies for devices such as computer monitors. Not always in you house. Might be a neighbor. There was an example on You-Tube that sounded like what I could say sounded like a diesel engine running that I think turned out to be a monitor power supply.

Usual approach. Go through your own breakers one at a time to see if it goes away when one is off and work  through devices on that circuit. If you can get hold of a portable SW receiver, take a walk around the yard and nearby houses and see if it gets louder near one of them.

Don't neglect attending to your own power supply if you can operate with it off or can just power up receive on a battery.
N5LRZ

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: July 11, 2009, 07:41:14 AM »

Sounds local to me.

Time to go looking for some noise causing thing.

First start with your own power supply as previously stated.  Particularly so if your power supply is an external switching power supply.

Temp hook up your radio to a battery to see if the noise goes away.  IF it does throw it in the trash can and get yourself a good commercial quality non switching power supply.

IF it does not go away and I think it will still be there given your statement only at night then it could very well be someone close to you charging their cell phone using a very noisy cell phone charger.  

OR something that kicks on ONLY at night.  Take note of your surroundings out of doors before the noise starts.  When the noise starts, immediately go back outside and see what changed--did a street light come on, did a business sign night light come on, did anything change?
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: