Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1] 2 Next   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: venting  (Read 1028 times)
K9FON

Ignore
« on: May 27, 2009, 11:24:42 AM »

I will try to be nice on what im about to say. I go to several hamfests a year and one thing i have noticed is some hams are just plain, outright, GROSS! I dont think some of these guys bathe at all. For gods sake, and for the sake of some of us that have to smell your gross a$$es, for crying out loud take a BATH and change your clothes!!!! How can some of these guys live with themselves? I mean c' mon do thses guys go out in a public place like this? If I did, my XYL would kill me!!
I am sorry if i have offended some, but i had to get this off my chest!!
KE4DRN

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: May 27, 2009, 03:42:53 PM »

hi,

I guess some used up all their money for
the trip to Dayton.

good thing most of them don't smoke,
otherwise they would self ignite !

73 james
K5END

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: May 27, 2009, 04:20:00 PM »

Some of the ones I smelled at Dayton reeked AND smoked.

Very inconsiderate.

Blowing smoke carelessly in my direction.

Disgusting.

Maybe they could have a sort of sheep dip booth at the entrance gate.
WB2WIK

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: May 27, 2009, 05:26:50 PM »

I went to a newsstand today to look for an unusual video magazine and there were three other people there browsing...all three smelled bad!

Maybe the economy's so bad that people have given up soap.

I must say "Americans" usually smelled better than most other nationalities, but I'm not so sure anymore.

We have had the luxury of inexpensive water (in most places) for many years, so daily bathing was pretty standard here.  Not so, in many places around the world where water is a precious commodity.

I had a French YL friend who was astonished that I showered in the morning and then again at night.  She actually asked, "Aren't you concerned about wasting all that water?"  She told me where she grew up, bathing was normally a two or three times a week event.

I guess that's why they have such great perfumes...

;-)

WB2WIK/6
W3LK

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: May 28, 2009, 06:44:08 AM »

I read all these complaints about smelly hams at hamfests, but I guess my nose is insensitive because I don't find any more smelly people there than I do anywhere else.

If you want smelly, try the New York subway (any train) on any late afternoon. I imagine Chicago is the same way, although I've only ridden the trains there once, several years ago.

With all the positive things to discuss about Dayton (or any other hamfest)  I fail to see the compulsion to complain about smelly hams.

Smell happens; get over it.

Lon - W3LK
Naugatuck, Connecticut

A smoking section in a restaurant makes as much sense as a peeing section in a swimming pool.
WW5AA

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: May 28, 2009, 07:08:08 AM »

I have been all over the world and here is my generalized take:

Worst smelling: French

Best  smelling: Southeast Asians

My pet peeve are those that use so much cologne, aftershave or perfume that you can smell em from 20 feet! Worse than second hand smoke and more toxic.

73 de Lindy
CROWBAR

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: May 29, 2009, 05:32:54 AM »

A quote from my wife on the way to a hamfest:

"If He Hugs Me Again This Year, I Will Puke."

And /6 is right. People in other parts of the world do seem to bathe more infrequently.
K5END

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: May 30, 2009, 08:26:00 AM »

New York City is what it is and the mass transit and general sidewalk filth is one reason I don't live there.

But that is no reason for others to rationalize it's OK to stink.

Most people in the U.S. understand that the nicest thing one can do for his fellow man is to not reek of poignant odors.

And the perfumes, after shave and colognes some people choose ought to be outlawed, or at least taxed very, very, very heavily.

There is a reason they call it "TOILET water."
K3NRX

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: June 01, 2009, 07:26:04 AM »

I got to tell ya, I don't disagree with the points being made here by K9FON.  Way back when I was just getting into the hobby, I did notice the same thing.  It was quite a shock to see that some (not everyone)of our fellow radio operators appeared to be very unkept and quite grungy.  Many of our brethern also appeared to be grotesquly overweight too.  But hey, ya know as far as that goes, it is what it is, and people are what they are. Some things can't be helped. But being overweight or whatever is no excuse for not bathing, brushing ones teeth, or keeping one's self decently groomed to the point were there are no unpleasent odors emitting from your person.  I didn't get it then, and I still don't get it. These guys seem to have $$$$ to burn on all kinds of radio stuff and cigarettes, but no cash to buy a bar of soap or pay a water bill to shower or to keep their close cleaned. That is beyond my comprehension.  I hate to say it, but it sort of adds to a stereotype that's been around for quite a while.  That we Radio Amateurs are not only nerdy geeks, but are also all a bunch of sloppy, grungy, anti-social outcasts that wouldn't know how to behave outside our coccoon (radio shack). Nothing can be further from the truth. That really is a shame.

Vince P
KA3NRX
K9FON

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: June 04, 2009, 01:33:20 PM »

Well not all of us hams are gross. I feel that I take care of myself enough were women that I meet out in public smile and say hi to me so I guess im not that bad! But there are some hams that are just outright blatantly gross! I never could understand why either as most hams are very intelligent, have very well paying jobs, but will drive a POS car and live in a trashed up house, but own a high dollar ham station. I guess its priorities. I know our house isnt the Taj Mahal but it looks pretty decent with a mowed yard and the house looks pretty decent inside and out. Heck i know some CB ops that are neater than some hams and thats a shame!
W0DV

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: June 07, 2009, 08:01:06 PM »

I have to work with a guy like that every day. He is about 400 lbs and stinks every day like butt sweat. He rarely washes his clothes or shaves.
Some people just have no shame.
W3LK

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: June 08, 2009, 06:46:38 AM »

Where's the HR director of your company? Doesn't your company have dress standards?

If someone did that in my company they would be written up each time and the third time fired!

Lon - W3LK
Naugatuck, Connecticut

A smoking section in a restaurant makes as much sense as a peeing section in a swimming pool.
K9FON

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: June 08, 2009, 11:37:08 AM »

Give him a bottle of soap and a scoozie for xmas.
I hate people that are gross like that and sadly, many of them are hams. I guess some of these college educated morons are too intelligent to develop personal hygiene habits. I used to work with a guy that literally smelled like a hog farm every day. Finally one day i had enough and flat out told him he was gross and needed a bath. Yeah I got wrote up, but he DID take better care of himself after that.
K5END

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: June 08, 2009, 02:24:23 PM »

Uh, how is "butt sweat" different than other sweat?

Nevermind.

I think this is one of life's mysteries on which I prefer to remain blissfully ignorant.
W3LK

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: June 08, 2009, 04:35:47 PM »

I guess you guys run in a completely different ham circle than I do. I have met exactly TWO hams in the last 10 years that fall into the category you describe.

Lon - W3LK
Naugatuck, Connecticut

Pages: [1] 2 Next   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: