Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: Prev 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: venting  (Read 1246 times)
W3LK

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: June 08, 2009, 04:37:31 PM »

BTW,

if you have a sensitive nose, DON'T visit Cairo! Was there on Palm Sunday; took me a couple of days at sea to recover. Smiley

Lon - W3LK
Naugatuck, Connecticut

A smoking section in a restaurant makes as much sense as a peeing section in a swimming pool.
OLLIEOXEN27

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: June 10, 2009, 02:12:04 PM »

That's why they're hams. They're not designed to be rolled out and paraded in public. Just ignore them.

You know why bars are so popular? Each person in there thinks they are superior to everyone else in the bar. People are most comfortable around those they feel superior to. That's why men in business suits make people uncomfortable (and are portrayed as villains on TV programs [TV is reality turned upside down]). That's why women like bikers and dumb body builder types. People who are more successful, smarter or look better make us feel inferior.

oli
K4DPK

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: July 11, 2009, 08:35:39 PM »

This topic is kinda strange, but I'll join in to tell you something that is absolutely true.  I know some of the younger guys will say, "Oh that old man is just making that up", but ask anyone else who was around in the fifties....

At hamfests in the early to late fifties, ALL of the grown-ups had on a white shirt and tie.  Some of them wore bow-ties, but ties none-the-less.  

The younger guys (teenagers like myself) wore IRONED pants and starched shirts.  

Everyone's hair was combed.

I kid you not.

Phil C. Sr.
k4dpk
K7UNZ

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: July 11, 2009, 09:57:30 PM »

Just to expand on what Phil (DPK) said....

Even in pictures of the shack, if the op was in the shot, he was in a shirt and tie!  This seemed to end around the mid-60's (hi).

Jim/k7unz
K9FON

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: July 12, 2009, 02:45:30 PM »

Yes i believe it. I have looked at my folkses old high school yearbooks from the late 1950s and noticed how neatly dressed everyone was back then. People back then had style and taste and eveyone looked neat and well dressed. A much simpler time.
W7ETA

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: July 13, 2009, 07:49:20 PM »

Your rant doesn't offend me.

The few times I went to pre-sunrise hamfests, I chose to sleep the extra half hour opting out of taking a shower and shaving.

Never cold figure out why hamfests had to start before sunrise instead of around noon?!

During the first few hamfests I went to, I did encounter a few ops who looked as if they had opted out of taking a shower before the hamfest and practiced it a few days before the hamfest.  But, at that time I still smoked.  So I couldn't smell much to start and just lit a cigarette, and then couldn't smell a thing.

I used to help run VE sessions--no problems.
I used to be a member of the local repeater club--no problem at those meetings.
I used to be a member of a contest club who's packet cluster I used--no problems at their meetings.
I used to be a member of a local DX club--no problems at those meetings.

The biggest problem with volunteer meetings is that there are always "Too may chiefs and not enough indians."  Plus, at times, some vocal people are more interested in being RIGHT regardless of how many people they drive away.

Maybe the "average" ham has lower than "average" people skills?

June Cleaver?Huh?!!!
Did you go to Buster Keyton at the movie theater and sing along with the bouncing ball?
Hi Hi
Best from HOT and HUMID Tucson
Bob
Pages: Prev 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: