Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: Prev 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Nets! How much is too much?  (Read 1220 times)
K4DPK

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: July 19, 2009, 07:52:49 PM »

I'll get back to you later, my CONELRAD just went off.

Phil C. Sr.
k4dpk
K4DPK

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: July 19, 2009, 08:39:01 PM »

Several years ago, Cecil and I were working here in my shop when we heard a commotion outside.  I went to the door, and there was a young man standing in the back of a pickup truck going up the road in front of my house.  He had a megaphone, or whatever you call those things, and he was hollering:

“LEAVE YOUR HOMES NOW AND GO NORTH.  THIS IS AN EMERGENCY!  LEAVE YOUR HOMES NOW AND HEAD NORTH.”   

For those of you who don’t already know, Cecil is my assistant here in the shop, and he is of the feline persuasion, although he doesn’t recognize that little biological oversight on God’s part.

Anyway, Cecil and I got in the truck, and as he would say, (if he could say) “We boogied!”

There are two 75,000 gallon propane tanks about a half-mile back through the woods, and it seems the control panel on one of them had caught FIRE.

Yes, you heard me….FIRE!.

Anyway, I got on the recognized net/calling/hangout frequency here in North Georgia, and called a friend of mine over in a nearby town, ten miles away.

I started giving him names of all my neighbors, and he’d call on the phone and make sure they got out of the neighborhood OK.  If not, we (Cecil and I) would go back and help them get out, before the propane tanks blew the neighborhood to hell and gone.

So we were about halfway through the list of folks in the neighborhood, when someone broke into the conversation.

This individual announced that he was the Net Control Station (emphasis his) for the ARES that’s Amateur Radio Emergency Service, and we would have to move because they were going to start their Simulated Emergency Practice Session, and he was sure we wouldn’t want to interfere.

I, being me, said the first thing that came to my mind.  I will, however, leave that interpretation to your individual imaginations.

Next day in the local paper, there was a pretty scary aerial photograph of the fire.  So, I scanned it and e-mailed it to the gentleman who had ordered me off the frequency the previous day, along with a little note explaining the nature of my “interference” and apologizing for bothering his net.

I aimed too high.  Sarcasm went right over his head.

He said, “That’s OK.  Just from now on, you know when the net meets.”

There never is a hand grenade around when you need one.

Phil C. Sr.
K4dpk
N5LRZ

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: July 20, 2009, 07:42:26 AM »

Re DPK...

Your example hardly qualifies as a valid example.  Lets face the pure and absolute fact that tanks full of explosive gas to not explode on a weekly basis.

What we are talking about is the 'Normal' day not a true emergency situation that is the exception to the norm.

Thus my statement still stands, under 'Normal' circumstances it is first come first served and move ONLY if you were there first and you want to move/not because they say so.
K4DPK

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: July 20, 2009, 10:27:57 AM »

N5LRZ….

While it is true that tanks of explosive gas don’t catch fire on a weekly basis (thank God), the example still serves to illustrate a couple of things relevant to the topic.

Some folks don’t listen to what’s going on before they demand “their” frequency.

Some folks might demand the frequency even if they do realize the importance of the pre-existing communication.

Lastly, even though my friend and I were on frequency first, that NCS didn’t ask….he demanded.  I was mobile.  We had to move in order to continue communicating, because they began the net anyway.

I appreciate your comment, but I think that NCS’ behavior was a good example of the spider rushing to protect his web, and it demonstrates, as the topic title asks, that it was just too much.

Phil C. Sr.
k4dpk
N5LRZ

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: July 22, 2009, 01:40:14 PM »

Re DPK

Why the anger?  I agree with you....

Nets should and ought to have alternative frequencies that they fall back on when their routine frequency is in use.

And I completely agree that said nets should yield to preceding use.

I myself have been routinely and willfully illegally deliberately interfered with by the QCWA net out of OK, if I remeber the city correctly, on Sunday Mornings.  I get to the 3.845 mhz frequency FIRST (bright and early Sunday Morning) and they illegally and deliberately interfere with my ongoing SSTV activity.  I am thinking on fileing a formal charge with the FCC against that chapter of the QCWA for willful and deliberate interference.

So I quite agree with you.  You are preaching to the congregation that agrees with you when you stated first listen THEN conduct only of clear.
N5LRZ

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: July 22, 2009, 01:40:30 PM »

Re DPK

Why the anger?  I agree with you....

Nets should and ought to have alternative frequencies that they fall back on when their routine frequency is in use.

And I completely agree that said nets should yield to preceding use.

I myself have been routinely and willfully illegally deliberately interfered with by the QCWA net out of OK, if I remeber the city correctly, on Sunday Mornings.  I get to the 3.845 mhz frequency FIRST (bright and early Sunday Morning) and they illegally and deliberately interfere with my ongoing SSTV activity.  I am thinking on fileing a formal charge with the FCC against that chapter of the QCWA for willful and deliberate interference.

So I quite agree with you.  You are preaching to the congregation that agrees with you when you stated first listen THEN conduct only of clear.
K4DPK

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: July 22, 2009, 01:58:45 PM »

LRZ...

There is no anger.  I think the whole thing was funny, hence my lighthearted post regarding the escape with my cat.

I just didn't quite get why I was wrong, because you posted:

"Your example hardly qualifies as a valid example. Lets face the pure and absolute fact that tanks full of explosive gas to not explode on a weekly basis.

What we are talking about is the 'Normal' day not a true emergency situation that is the exception to the norm.

Thus my statement still stands, under 'Normal' circumstances it is first come first served and move ONLY if you were there first and you want to move/not because they say so. "

I had just finished saying I was there first and got run off.  Seems to me we agreed on that point.

My post was simply to illustrate that some folks don't care what's going on with the frequency when net time arrives.

Phil C. Sr.
k4dpk
Pages: Prev 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: