Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: going portable  (Read 476 times)
KC5UUS

Ignore
« on: July 23, 2009, 04:44:59 PM »

I sometimes hear stations identify, with a slash something at the end of their call. What is that? is it a station operating away from its home base? a portable. if so what would be the proper way for me to identify, say if i am away from base say up in washington state? thanks
WB2WIK

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: July 23, 2009, 05:57:09 PM »

There's no legal requirement in the U.S. to sign portable.  If you operate anywhere in the U.S. you can just use your callsign.

However, there's no regulation stating you can't identify as portable, either!  So, feel free to use your callsign "portable 7" (/7) if you operate in Washington.  It really doesn't matter, and it's all up to you.

I sign /6 when I operate VHF (weak signal modes) so as not to mislead locals into thinking they're hearing the east coast and getting all hyped up about it.  I also sign /6 on HF when working some DX stations, if they are calling for "west coast" or "sixes only" or something, to let them know that's where I actually am.

Otherwise, I don't sign /6.  No legal reason to, and no practical reason to, either, except for those examples.

WB2WIK/6
KD8ERE

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: July 23, 2009, 07:04:14 PM »

That's an interesting idea. I've never heard someone do that on ham radio, but I have heard it on some other communications. What would the purpose of that be? I could see it at field day using a clubs call, and club radios. What else though?
KC5UUS

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: July 23, 2009, 08:19:38 PM »

Ok fine business. thank u
K4DPK

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: July 27, 2009, 05:07:16 PM »

For many years, if we operated away from our home station we had to sign /portable or /mobile.

If we were away from home more than ten days, we had to notify the FCC where we were and how long we'd be there.

That was back when ham radio was more educational, structured and  disciplined, not so much a fun-for-the-whole family come-one-come-all entertainment medium.  I guess it got greater membership than they counted on so they had to stop trying to keep such close tabs on us.

Phil C. Sr.
k4dpk
K2YO

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: July 27, 2009, 08:29:55 PM »

Back in the 90's I was relocated to NY but had a 6 callsign. When I went back to LA one time for fun I signed KE6CAV/6 on the local club repeater. It started quite a discussion, hahahaha. Finally an OO chimed in that it was entirely correct, even though it was quite odd.

Bernie
Now K2YO with no slant.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: