The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

donate to eham
   Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Birds and Magnetic Fields ?  (Read 1097 times)
N9GXA

Ignore
« on: July 22, 2009, 05:42:47 AM »

Birds and Magnetic Fields ?

Just wondering if anyone can relate to this: A few years ago, I wasn't active on any of the ham bands. We had bird feeders in our yard where finches and nuthatches would frequent, plus some humming birds and other birds in the trees that I can't identify, but sounded nice.

The past couple of years, those birds, other than the occasional humming bird, robin and the common sparrow, are basically non existent at our place. We can hear finches in the neighborhood, but not very close to us. I want to believe their lack of return, in time, somewhat meshes with my return to ham radio.

Do you think it's possible that my now-active ham hobby on HF has somehow thrown off the birds “homeing” system? Or?

That's about the only thing I can think of that has changed in the area. Thanks...

73 – Paul – N9GXA
N3OX

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: July 22, 2009, 10:36:07 AM »

"Do you think it's possible that my now-active ham hobby on HF has somehow thrown off the birds “homeing” system? Or?

That's about the only thing I can think of that has changed in the area. Thanks.."

Paul, did you put up some antennas when you returned to ham radio?

And if so does anyone new perch on those antennas that might scare off the other birds?

Dan
http://www.n3ox.net

Monkey/silicon cyborg, beeping at rocks since 1995.
WB5JEO

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: July 22, 2009, 12:39:38 PM »

It's really hard to say. There's a body of mostly anecdotal evidence of small bird leaving the vicinity of newly installed cell sites. And some studies showing decreased reproduction among small birds nesting near high voltage power lines. But, for one thing, those are both continuous sources. There are other studies on migration, but that's not quite the issue here.

It's hard to interpret a lot of this. If a bird is an insect eater, you'd have to consider if the effect is on the birds or on the bugs. Seems to me that, even if birds would be affected by the power and frequencies used, you'd have to be operating a lot to run them off. But I suppose that if they can sense it, it wold likely not be a nice feeling, and maybe they'd quickly learn to avoid the area.
N5LRZ

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: July 22, 2009, 01:31:22 PM »

Birds sense many things.  

I remember reading where homeing pigeons and certain migrating birds sense changes in the earths magnetic fields that guide them.

I gues it is possible that the birds may sense your RF but birds have been sitting on electric wires since the first two poles were put up.  You do not see massive piles of bird bodies beneith power lines.  Your smaller RF signal is not likely to cause extinction either.
KE7ORS

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: July 22, 2009, 06:46:59 PM »

I have a Sparrow Hawk and several red wing black birds that like to perch on the top of my inverted V center support. The black birds also like to perch on my newly installed Moxon. It only took them about 20 minutes to start using the moxon, so no problem here; except for the occassional barn owl that flies into the wire on my inverted v. Ouch!!

Tracy KE7ORS
N9GXA

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: July 23, 2009, 05:10:19 AM »

Thanks for the replies!

I did install a dipole at the 25' level when I returned and now that it's mentioned, I can't say that I have ever seen a bird resting on the 12ga, black insulation, OCF dipole.

I think it's the homing pigeon idea that first lead me to wonder if other birds use magnetic information to return to an area.

Again - Thanks...

73 - Paul - N9GXA
W7IBI

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: July 27, 2009, 08:54:37 AM »

The migratory paths and times of these migrations are changing because of the changes in the weather.
Seasons are changing, don't you notice it?
KF6PHV

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: August 14, 2009, 03:53:47 PM »

I had a friend who is now SK who moved to an apartment with a balcony, and found that many birds perched on the top railing.  He put up several vhf/uhf antennas in the very available attic that he had to hide those antennas and asked us all how to stop the birds from perching on the railing.  He got quite a few suggestions from electrifying the railing, to installing a railing that rotated so the birds could not get a grip (I could imagine coming out in the morning for that first cup of coffee and finding a bird or two adapting to this by running in place on the railing!) to putting up a sign that said "No Parking On the Railing".  He did put up that sign and believe it or not, the birds quit perching on the railing!  I just thought that maybe the stray near bye RF affected the birds somehow.
K5END

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: August 17, 2009, 05:10:52 AM »

It's an "inconvenient truth," but that RF is warming up the air around your QTH.

That localized warming is having an adverse affect on the wildlife.

Sorry. Couldn't resist. Smiley

I think Dan's suggestion is a good one. Predatory or territorial birds may be using the opportunity.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: