Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Shure 522 mic for Yaesu FT-847  (Read 1733 times)
KF6AGM

Ignore
« on: August 18, 2009, 07:15:36 PM »

Does anyone know how to wire a Shure 522 desktop microphone for use with a Yaesu FT-847? Any information that you can provide (pictures, links, etc.) would be greatly appreciated.

Ken KF6AGM
KG6YV

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: August 20, 2009, 09:39:53 AM »

You can use it assuming the microphone impedance and radio impedance are matched.... If the 522 has an impedance switch for hi/lo match that to whatever the 847 requires and wire the mic. to match.

I have a 522 but I use it on a Collins KWM2A.  That is hi-impedance.  I can't remember if the 522 has a switch on the bottom to select impedance and I am not at home right now....

The 522 is a nice sounding mic.  Its got a nice high end and balanced audio unlike the 444 which has a big boost in treble above 2kc.

Greg
KG6YV
N5LRZ

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: August 20, 2009, 12:41:33 PM »

Forget shure.  Think Heil Mics, known the word over.
KF6AGM

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: August 20, 2009, 06:35:08 PM »

I chose and bought the Shure 522 microphone for the looks and reputation while staying within my budget. Everyone has their own opinion about what microphone to use, but you shouldn't force someone to spend big bucks just because one brand sounds better than the other. I cannot afford to spend between one hundred to a few hundred dollars for a Heil microphone when all I want is something for a basic functional station.
KF6AGM

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: August 20, 2009, 06:37:20 PM »

Yes, my Shure 522 mic has an impedience switch on the bottom.
KB1LKR

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: August 20, 2009, 06:48:59 PM »

Here's a link for the Shure 522 manual: http://www.shure.com/ProAudio/Products/WiredMicrophones/us_pro_522_content   See fig 1 for wiring.

It's switchable for either low (<300 ohms) or high impedance use and is designed for radio comms, paging and dispatch applications.

The FT-847 accepts 200-10k ohm mics and shipped w/ a 600 ohm mic.
KG6YV

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: August 21, 2009, 08:26:51 AM »

I agree with the gentleman who says you choose a microphone by performance regardless of price.  

The 522 is an excellent smooth sounding dynamic microphone for SSB.  I own one, I use one and I have compared it on air with several others in blind tests and was given good reports on audio from at least 10 hams I know who know good audio.  

BTW, neither Heil or anyone else can be factually proven to be the best.  

Enjoy the 522, you will not be shamed by it.  

Greg
KG6YV
KG6YV

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: August 21, 2009, 08:27:45 AM »

I agree with the gentleman who says you choose a microphone by performance regardless of price.  

The 522 is an excellent smooth sounding dynamic microphone for SSB.  I own one, I use one and I have compared it on air with several others in blind tests and was given good reports on audio from at least 10 hams I know who know good audio.  

BTW, neither Heil or anyone else can be factually proven to be the best.  

Enjoy the 522, you will not be shamed by it.  

Greg
KG6YV
WG8Z

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: August 24, 2009, 09:30:03 AM »

Shure 522
Smoooth,Very nice Mic for AM,SSB and even FM.
Good Freq. curve,dual impedance and can be had for a bargain price. (good bang for the buck)
Have several,looking for more.

Heil
Havn't been impressed as of yet.
Sorry Bob just my experience so far.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: