Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: Prev 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Load a tree...  (Read 1047 times)
WB5JEO

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: August 28, 2009, 11:43:13 AM »

"IF the antenna you can put up is going to suck pond scum the DO NOT put up the antenna. Compromise antennas yield compromise results. NEVER compromise."

But they're all compromises. There's not a single design that doesn't trade off one characteristic for another. If it wasn't true, we'd all be using the same one grand universal antenna. Every Yagi is a compromise. Even the SteppIR makes compromise choices of spacing and, of course, complexity. Unless you're the Japanese guy with the Yagi the size of a construction crane, you're accepting significant compromise, and no doubt, compared to his, everything else sucks pond scum.
AG6WT

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: August 28, 2009, 12:21:02 PM »

If you are into bonsai, you can have some fun with this. You can grow your own loading coils!
N7DM

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: August 28, 2009, 06:01:29 PM »

What the heck. I thought this Hobby was to have fun with!  Try ANYTHING for an 'Aerial'. The goofier the better; the more satisfaction that YOU made it work! I used to regularly QSO a 'OE' who nightly took his crummy AEA Iso-Loop out onto the balcony of his X-story apartment..... and chew with me on 30 meters. Another Great Ham, now SK, NR0J had a FOUR FOOT loop on top of his van, that he used on 3527. Bandwidth was only 4 or 5 Kc, but did it work!

Have fun.... little left that is fun and free........

dm
N5LRZ

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: August 30, 2009, 08:55:32 AM »

Re OX and JEO...

The entire purpose was never ever to actually use the tree as a functuional daily antenna.  The sole and only porpose was just to \'Load It\' just for the pure scientific knoledge that it could be loaded at all

The use of the tree as a routine functional antenna or any other use other than just to see if it would load was never intended nor was it contemlated.

And by the way the experiment was a failure of sorts.  It did load somewhat, a little, but no where near good enough for me to consider the scientific experiment an unqualified success.  I moved the feed point up and down as previously mentioned---a little change but not enough to meet my criteria for success.

Perhaps some mineral additives to the dirt around the antenna to dope up the sap makeing the sap more agreeable to RF flow.  And the Scientific Experiment moves on.

LOL and the guy who suggested the small dwarf trees as coils....NAAAA not coils, Caps.  Put two of the little trees side by side and move them closer or farther appart to change the cap value Wink
K4DPK

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: September 07, 2009, 07:47:03 PM »

A friend of mine in the Florida panhandle used a Pine tree as an antenna one evening and had a perfectly copiable signal here in NW GA.  He was only running 100 watts, and he was certainly not as strong as normal, but it would work in an emergency.

I haven't seen it, but I understand there is some reference to tree antennas in a military communications handbook.

Could come in handy one day....

Phil C. Sr.
k4dpk
KA3DNR

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: October 01, 2009, 06:42:42 PM »

"I think it's a "sappy" idea."

Leaf the puns out of it.

Your comments are treesonous!
Pages: Prev 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: