The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

donate to eham
   Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Used Equipment boxes  (Read 2072 times)
KB6DWO

Ignore
« on: October 25, 2009, 09:53:05 AM »

I have been buying and selling Ham radio gear on Ebay for a few years now. I can't believe the number of questions I get about the "Original Box".  Can anyone out there tell me why the "Box" is such an important thing to hams?  Does it increase or decrease the value of the equipment? Maybe I'm missing somehting but it's just a box to me. When I buy a radio, I'm looking to make sure it works and that I'm getting a good deal not  for the box it came in.

Thanks
KB6DWO
K4GXS

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: October 25, 2009, 10:28:14 AM »

Beats the 'mud' out of me !!  I have always wondered about that too but if you don't have the box you can expect to take a mark down !!

I guess the theory is you can get an idea of how old or well treated a piece of gear was by it's completeness and hence it's value ?

Maybe somebody is afraid of buying gear stolen out of somebody's shack ??

I guess it's true that a burglar wouldn't take the time to find the box and pack it up very neatly with all of it's accessories...ha !!
KG4RUL

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: October 25, 2009, 11:20:54 AM »

Because the packing in the "original box" is specifically designed to properly protect that particular piece of gear.  I still have the box for my TS-2000(X) and I will be using it to ship it off for service.  I have a lot of confidence that, with the original box in an outer box, my radio will make the trip and return without damage.
NO2A

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: October 25, 2009, 11:30:11 AM »

One reason is the original box besides being the proper size,has the serial number of the radio on it. Other than that i dunno.  :-)
K7UNZ

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: October 25, 2009, 05:55:16 PM »

RUL....once that box makes it back to the repair facility, you can kiss it off 'cos it's bound for the trash bin.

Factory repair facilities will return it to you in a box of their own.

Jim/k7unz
W0FM

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: October 28, 2009, 02:28:41 PM »

I have returned both my FT-1000MP and an FT-847 to Yaesu for repair, packed in their original carton.  On all occasions, I received the radio back in the same carton I shipped it in.

Now, I save all my radio boxes more for shipping convenience than "proof" they were once new.  I save all the original packing, plastic bags and tie wraps.  When I sell a radio, I pretty much pack it all up like it was when I received it new.  It is easier on me and, according to the notes I get back, very much appreciated by the next owner.

And, saving the boxes takes much less time and energy than searching around for something to ship the radio in later.

Terry, WØFM
N3OX

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: October 28, 2009, 03:15:14 PM »

I think people don't want the headache of leaving the proper packing of the item up to a random person on the internet. The form fitting foam that comes from the factory is designed to properly protect the item from rough handling.

It would take a long time (if it ever happens) to get money back from anyone for a radio damaged in shipping, especially if they're uncooperative.

So don't get too upset that people don't trust you to do a comparable packing job as the factory.  I'm sure lots of people have been burned by a seller who packs poorly and is uncooperative in refunding money for a broken unit (after all, why do they want a broken radio back?)

And I'm sure some others have been scammed by people who send them a broken radio in a poor packing job where it looks like shipping damage was the cause of the malfunction.  And it's not as simple as getting money back from the shipping company because they might not cover improperly packed items.

Even if you have a case against a "sent you a broken radio such that it looks like UPS broke it" scammer, they might disappear before you get resolution.

And even if people aren't worried about scams, they don't want their hard earned money tied up in a dispute with someone who can't pack properly.

It seems the factory box is a good piece of insurance that this stuff won't happen, by accident or on purpose.  If a broken radio shows up in the factory box with shipping insurance, I feel like you have a much stronger case against the guy on the other end or the shipping company.  

Dan

Dan
http://www.n3ox.net

Monkey/silicon cyborg, beeping at rocks since 1995.
K4DPK

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: October 29, 2009, 09:25:45 PM »

All of the above comments are true, but there is one other thing to consider.

There was a guy who used to make the rounds of all the hamfests, and he wanted boxes for another reason.

He could pick up an old junker, clean it up and, if he had the original packing, claim it was one he'd bought new, and it was his own personal radio.

I learned this after he asked me to "patch one up".  Well, I do repairs, but I don't do "patch".

Seems every day, there's something new to watch out for....

Phil C. Sr.
k4dpk
N4CQR

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: October 30, 2009, 05:26:34 AM »

ham radio is mostly and old folks hobbie. Old folks like to collect paper sacks and boxes.
WB5JEO

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: October 30, 2009, 10:36:08 AM »

I don't think it's from any idea that it would be packed well. I think it's just one of those things that operate in online auctions that have become important for anyone who hopes to maximize interest in their offering but doesn't really mean much. There's a vague feeling that having the original box suggests that the seller is likely the original owner and that he cared enough about the equipment to hang on to the box. But, of course, it doesn't really insure either of those things. It's kind of like the fact that anyone selling anything had better have a photo posted. This goes, too, for things that cannot be evaluated by looking at them and for things that are intangible, like a CD of collected technical data. You can't tell a thing from the photo of a CD, but if you don't have one posted, your auction just won't attract the same attention. It's akin to the assurances that "It works perfectly, but king's X, it's also "as-is," and no returns if it doesn't. As if radios simply can't be shipped without a high risk of going bad in transit.
N5LRZ

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: October 30, 2009, 11:22:15 AM »

What is NOT to understand....

If you want an example very specific, which is of greater value to a barbie collector?  An original barbie in the original box, unopened and in mint condition.  OR a used barbie, played with.

Ill give you a hint, its ALL about perceived market value/resale value
KB6DWO

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: November 01, 2009, 08:01:22 PM »

Who in their right mind would buy a $1000.00 radio and never open it up or take it out of the box?  That makes no sense.
W0FM

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: November 02, 2009, 12:07:54 PM »

"Who in their right mind would buy a $1000.00 radio and never open it up or take it out of the box?"

Answer:  Maybe some guy who is too busy playing with his "used barbie".

;o)

Terry, WØFM
K5END

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: November 02, 2009, 01:31:17 PM »

>>"Can anyone out there tell me why the "Box" is such an important thing to hams?"

It's not just hams. I think there are several reasons, but maybe they think that if you took the time to preserve the box you also took good care of the radio.

Or it could be an OCD thing. It's not "complete" without the original box. Send them some Zoloft in lieu of the box.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: