Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: QSL Card Filing/Storage  (Read 697 times)
KD5QJA

Ignore
« on: March 28, 2005, 10:26:11 PM »

I know this sounds ridiculous, but I was wonderding if anyone has any useful hints/suggestions for filing and storing QSL cards.  My pile of QSL's continues to grow at a seemingly exponential pace, but with all the different sizes I've yet to find a satisfactory means of keeping them in one place--and organized.  My current preferred method is to clamp them together (sorted, of course) with large "bulldog clips" and shove them in a desk drawer.  It works, but it's so crude!  Any suggestions would be most appreciated.  
N3ZKP

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2005, 01:51:30 PM »

If you aren't going to display them, there are all sorts of file boxes available at the office supply stores that can be used. Some of them will hold several hundred each.

There are metal ones, plastic ones, cardboard ones ...

Lon
WB2WIK

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2005, 04:18:07 PM »

I've been using empty shoe boxes for about 30 years now.  They will accommodate any size QSL card, even the oversized ones, and keep all the cards lined up neatly.  It takes about 2000 cards to fill a shoebox.  

At last count, I had more than fifty shoeboxes full of cards, which is why I do it this way: It's cheap, and space-saving.  If I had to actually "buy" something to put QSLs in, that would have cost quite a lot by now.

I keep cards sorted alphanumerically, and when one box gets completely filled, rather than overflowing into the next logical box, I just start a new box for the overflow -- otherwise, every couple of years there would be a major sorting job.

Luckily, I wear shoes out at just about the correct rate to have some empty boxes on hand when needed!

WB2WIK/6
N8UZE

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: March 29, 2005, 04:19:21 PM »

I like the photo albums that have pockets sized for photos up to 4x6.  That will handle almost all domestic and foreign size cards.
N7NBB

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: March 30, 2005, 06:25:02 AM »

Some may SHUDDER at this, but for a very LOW COST, you can buy individual "snap" rings (like in a three ring binder).  Punch one (or two) small holes in the edge of the cards and slip them on the ring(s). You can then "flip" right to the card you want to view... even take it off the ring if you wish - (in the manner of a ROLL-A-DEX(tm).  This ring storage system will allow almost any sized card to be added.. Some of the more exotic two and three fold cards may need some extra thought. Most office supply stores have the rings in sizes up to 4" or even 6", and they hold lots of cards.  If you are one who "view" his old cards a lot, you may wish to also invest in some of the CLEAR self-stick ring hole reenforcements.

Cards in boxes under the bed, or in books of the shelf offer little to show for all your hard work...until you become SK, and they clean out your room, and throw all that away... Several thousand cards hanging on rings on the wall of the shack gives constant reminder of your accomplishments to you and others. (they still may be thrown out when you SK, but at least they are "out there" being viewed.
CAM

WB2WIK

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: March 30, 2005, 02:34:37 PM »

Ya know, the problem with the QSLs-in-pockets holders or punching holes in cards and putting them in binders (and lots of other ideas) is that most of them aren't very flexible if you want to keep your cards in alphanumeric order, which, frankly, is the only logical way to keep them.

If they're alphanumeric, you can go through them in seconds to see if you already have a particular card, or you don't.

Of course, nowadays, we can do easy recordkeeping on our PCs and maybe the need for "sorting" or filing in a logical sequence is disappearing.

But I still like alphanumeric filing, since it just makes the most sense.  As such, any system that makes you remove a card in order to replace it with another one that should go in that place to maintain the sequence is a time-wasting system that leads to a lot of extra work.

My "shoebox" filing system allows one to simply insert a new card where it should go, alphanumerically, in two seconds.  That's why I like it.  Just a bunch of cheap filing cabinets.

I do have QSLs on display, and rotate them to keep them interesting.  But I can't display almost 100,000 cards.  I keep about fifty on display in the shack, and change them every few months.

WB2WIK/6
K7UNZ

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: April 15, 2005, 10:45:08 PM »

Just in case you don't wear-out your shoes as fast as Steve (WIK) does, here's another suggestion.  Drop into your local Walgreen's (or whatever in your area).  Most of the "pharmacy" places sell photo storage boxes in various sizes for a couple of bucks.  Usually cheaper than an office supply place, and they stack nicely.

By the way, I think I've still got shoes as old as Steve's shoe boxes (hi)......

73, Jim/k7unz
KG4RUL

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: April 16, 2005, 04:30:29 AM »

I am using an old storage box for 5" floppy disks.  Sturdy, dust free and, in the case of my box, lockable.

Dennis KG4RUL
KL7IPV

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: April 20, 2005, 10:53:23 PM »

I used the "traditional" shoe box storage. Then I "graduated" to the card file boxes. Now I use them and I use eQSL for all my QSLs if possible. I print out what I want and let the rest reside there until called for. Works for me!
Frank
KL7IPV
KK4E

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: November 03, 2009, 02:28:57 PM »

The only comment I have for filing and storing cards is to keep it simple - it's hard to beat the shoebox and filing the cards alphabetically. Unless you're like me, who goes shoe-less and naked most of the time Smiley

Seriously, on the other hand, the issue of *displaying* cards is a different matter. Binders, sleeves, albums, wall space, desk space, etc. are all matters of consideration, but Steve's comment about rotation got me thinking... I've been QRT for 10 years, and now going QRV with a vengance, (HOORAY for K4M, BTW - That's how to do a Dxepedition!!!) the issue of how to display choice cards arises once again... Now technology has an answer - short version: digital camera, and digital picture frame...

Danny
KK4E/6
WW5AA

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: November 04, 2009, 08:54:18 AM »

I scan my cards into my logging program and can sort them in any order I want with a few clicks of the mouse, then file them in a shoe box in order received (:-)

73 de Lindy
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: