Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Ocean wave noise  (Read 370 times)
AK4DW

Ignore
« on: November 04, 2009, 08:31:54 PM »

I have read somewhere about this but I don't remember where. At night around 7.178, I hear what sounds like some kind of atmospheric noise. The best I can describe the sound is that it starts out as a high pitch static noise then the frequency of the noise go down to a low pitch then pops back up to the high pitch. The period between high and low is about 1 second and then it repeats continuously. Kinda like ocean waves. I've talked to other hams who also hear it so it's not any RFI local to my shack.
Any clues from anyone.

Thanks,
AK4DW
K6LO

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: November 05, 2009, 08:58:25 AM »

The last time I heard something like that, it was a  photo-sensor.  Man made sources can propagate for miles.  Is it modulated when you switch your RX to AM mode?
N5LRZ

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: November 05, 2009, 03:55:50 PM »

Start your search by first determining if the noise is comming via the power lines or the antenna.

Disconnect the antenna.  Does the noise go away?

If not then its comming thru you power line.

Shut off the main circuit breaker for the entire house and use a battery powered receiver.  Did the noise go away?

If not then its comming thru the power lines but not originating in your house.  You house is cleared of guilt and you can now walk around with your little receiver tracking down the signal to its loudest point--which could be next door or miles away.
AK4DW

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: November 05, 2009, 07:43:56 PM »

I am not the only one the hears the noise. I've talked to several operators from miles away that hear it. So its nothing with the radio or local interference. It only happens at night, around 11pm to about 1am. I never hear it in the morning. And I only hear it on 40m.
K6LO

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: November 06, 2009, 08:53:26 AM »

Then it seems reasonable that the noise is coming from a secondary source connected to the power system, rather than being created by power company hardware. Something is turning on for that period. I mentioned photo sensors earlier, because I had similar trouble with a sodium-vapour street lamp.  In our town, they turn on at sunset, and then a timer shuts them off about 2AM in order to reduce light pollution.  The interfering light was several blocks away and bothered a segment of the 75 meter phone band until I asked the city to replace the ballast.

I think you guys are going to have to DF this one.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: