Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: Prev 1 [2] 3 4 Next   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Would you....  (Read 4599 times)
N5LRZ

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: November 04, 2009, 12:09:44 PM »

Re 7x...

thanks for the reply...

And in reply to your statement how would if feel if say a GROL person came to look at my radions in and official FCC Inspection.

I would feel the same way as if an official FCC Field agent were doing the inspection.

I would not mind at all because I run a modern radio fresh out of the factory box without any mods at all.  I do not run an amp at this time so power abuse is not in the equasion.  PERHAPS later on in 5 or 10 years or so I might save up enough $$$$ to get me one of those 1500 Plus watt amps Smiley.

I would hope that the visitors were FCC engineers though because I would get them a nice lunch and have a sit down with them tapping their brains as to how to improve my station and antennas while they are there.

At any rate thanks for the reply.
N5LRZ

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: November 04, 2009, 12:12:34 PM »

OOOH and 7x...

the invisioned inspection corps techies would not wear a badge of any kind or even be authorized to carry firearms (as law enforcement).

The only thing we would wear optional would be one of those windbreakers or a T shirt with Station Inspection Team (SIT) or some other such logo.  But no badges.

Just so you know.
N5LRZ

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: November 04, 2009, 12:18:55 PM »

Re UNZ...

One of the qualifications for manditory station examination would of course be a valid search warrant signed by a judge just like any other search order.

Appropriate complaints would of course have to precede such an inspection order.

For your in general information as far as I understand the way the system works, in order for a logal government to enforce CB Rules and Regs it has to as part of the requirements enact certain local laws which I imagine must include certain legal clauses and statements.

Now I cannot speak for every city and town but if any of the other cities and towns are like mine the city government meetings were laws are proposed, debated and sometimes passed are open to the public.  And the public can speak their mind if they sign up and get on the agenda for the meeting.  So its not a closed system where only the privledged get to make those authorizations that the FCC requires.  

At any rate thanks for the reply
N5LRZ

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: November 04, 2009, 12:23:35 PM »

Re DF...

re re CB has no rules...

Well yea it does have rules and regulations.

Unfortunately a lot of CB people deliberately do not follow them out of ignorance or just flat out willful law breaking.

Which is a shame because there are some good CB people who do not violate antenna height, power, frequency, dx talking, etc rules.  

Its like everything in life I guess.  The big bunch of good guys get screwed because of a few morons.

How does that saying go: One bad apple spoils the entire....

At any rate thanks for the reply
N5LRZ

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: November 04, 2009, 12:24:35 PM »

Re FOX...

A good answer....

short and sweet.

thanks for the reply
K5END

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: November 04, 2009, 12:40:23 PM »

>
"I would predict that legally licensed Amateur radio operators, who just happened to have an RFI problem might just find THEMSELVES on the wrong end of one of those 'investigations'."

If/when someone knocks on my door with interference claims, I will ask for exact time, date and call sign. And I'd require proof of the interference in the device suffering the interference. A tape recording is not proof. Anyone with a SWL radio or scanner can get a tape recording of normal signals.

If after much work they can produce all that, and if the data and my logs  match, I still don't have to defend it.

All good Hams know what the law is regarding this. The problem is owned by the receiver, not the transmitter--assuming the transmitter is legal and healthy.

tough kitty.

And if they catch me on a bad day, look out for a countersuit.
K5END

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: November 04, 2009, 12:43:10 PM »

"The only thing we would wear optional would be one of those windbreakers or a T shirt with Station Inspection Team (SIT) or some other such logo."

What about "station ham inspection team?"

hi
N5LRZ

Ignore
« Reply #22 on: November 04, 2009, 01:09:58 PM »

Re END...

I am sure that such information as time etc would be included in the details of the compeltely legal search warrant given to you by the law enforcement people.

And if not the mere fact that a duly elected legal judge saying yes you are going to allow .... should meet all legal requirements of the law.

But just to make sure you do not get into trouble with the FCC in the meantime.  You might also want to read the rules and regulations governing amateur radio as it pertains to the FCC inspecting an amateur radio station.

I myself would welcome such an inspection if nothing else for two reasons:  it would clear my station of any present and possible future problems given that all my radios and equipment are factory fresh and completely unmodified  AND too that the presence of knoledgeable people having seen many amateur stations would present me with the opportunity to grill them so to speak as to how I might improve my station and my antennas.

I base the above last paragraph on the principle that an honest person (be ye CB or Amateur or whatever) obeying rules and regs using radios that he should be using and operating in the acceptable fashion under the rules and regs has absolutely nothing to fear from an inspection.  And in pure fact the person so inspected should look upon it as the opportunity to obtain information and knoledge that they could put to good use.

And besides, IF IF the complaintant is a neighbor who bitched and my station was found to be completely above board legal that would make them look like a first class moronic ass hole--that would please me to no end and alone be worth the inspection.
N5LRZ

Ignore
« Reply #23 on: November 04, 2009, 01:14:25 PM »

Re END...

OOOOO almost forgot the initials thing....

I have to honestly say I like that, but then I like sardines out of the can.  

But seriously, I seem to remember a court decision that stated that the S and F words on t shirts constitutes a public vulgarity or something like that--I would have to look it up.

Besides I dont think the police department would allow the use of the initials alone.  The entire name with all the letters should be no problem but just the initals probably would not be allowed even if the court said it was not public vulgarity.
N5LRZ

Ignore
« Reply #24 on: November 04, 2009, 03:18:09 PM »

Re End...

in re re...

"All good Hams know what the law is regarding this. The problem is owned by the receiver, not the transmitter--assuming the transmitter is legal and healthy.

tough kitty.

And if they catch me on a bad day, look out for a countersuit. "

What you say is completely true and valid in so far is it pertains to a legal licensed Amateur Radio Station of the FCC operating within the Rules and Regs of the FCC.  And this fact is easily determined by a simple check of the call sign in the FCC database easily obtained by a simple monitoring of transmissions--name address and all the important info will be in the FCC records.

The ONLY time any kind of confusion that may arise is IF a CBer got a say techie license and STILL operated in CB (what a moron).  Then it would be a dual station and may cause the inspection of the CB station.  WHICH could be an embarassment if the only transmitter to be seen is an Amateur Radio and not a completely legit CB Radio.

But just so you do not get unnecessary gray hairs, the current FCC policy allowing local governments to enforce CB Rules and Regulations do not apply to the enforcement of Amateur Rules and Regulations.  Local governments are allowed to only enforce CB Rules and Regs.  All other FCC Licensed services are exempt from their jurisdiction.  LOL I guess the FCC wants to keep the fun of torturing these exempt services to themselves.

IF the FCC sends an inspection team to inspect your station it will be an inspection from "THE MAN HIMSELF" --or in the current situation herself.

You might want to read up on the FCC Rules And Regulations as it relates to FCC Station Inspections by the FCC.

You might also want to read up on the FCC Policy and Procedures as to inspections as well, probably not included in the rules and regulations themselves.  Where you will find this information I cannot say.

Just so you will know that as an amateur station licensed by the FCC you as an Amateur Station will not be inspected by local authorities,its gonna be FCC people themselves.

But purely, only, just out of personal inquisitiveness/curiousity why are you so adement and strongly defending CB Outlaws so to speak?  Or at least so it seems you are defending people who deliberately and openly flaunt their Rule Breaking like it was some kind of badge of honor?

IF I am wrong then please fill me in on your reasoning.
CHARLIEBAKER

Ignore
« Reply #25 on: November 04, 2009, 07:33:49 PM »

ha ha this is real funny! lol! i think HAMS like to be junior g men beacus they get board talking on there 1 watt walkys that only get out like 2 miles!! lol!! thats why they put on a hard hat and a red vest and wait for a parad to come by! lol!! if a HAM came over at my house i wold probly have to take a hour just to esplain what a real radio is! lol! then he can go beep de beep on his walky and i can go shoot some big skip on my real radio! lol! may be if these HAM had a real radio in stead a walky they wold get on the radio and not go a round tryng to act like they was the police! lol!! if any a you walky hams want to come over at my house you dont need no warennt just come on over an we drink some beers an i will show you all a real radio and how to work it! but dont were youre hard hat beacus it looks nerd!! lol!!!!!!!
VK6NDT

Ignore
« Reply #26 on: November 05, 2009, 02:26:50 AM »

you guys stress too much and must have some serious issues.

"Quote - Let's leave law enforcement to those who are trained and paid to do it. " at the begining it said "if you were trained..

here in Australia the "FCC" is Called ACMA (australian communications and media aurthority)
when they have enough evidence to warrant a search of someones house accompanying them are the boys in blue with the search warrent. they stand around and make sure the searchee is not going to do anything stupid. they usually feel stupid because they have been caught.

As for bombs being hidden in radio's to blow up in the face of an inspector.. i think id rather take a couple hundred or even couple thousand dollar fine over a life prison term.

I know a couple of Radio inspectors in west aust and they usually have more important thing to do then worry about the clown band but when they do have to they make sure they have enough evidence to rain hell on the person. and i dont think any of them have had any issues with discruntled customers.

As my answer. i sure would. if i was given the correct training req (even tho as a tech i probably have a good idea as to wat to look for)

we also have very strict gun laws so i dont think someone poking a gun in your face would be too much of a problem. The inspections are always well organised and the culpret would have no idea it was about to go down so setting any booby traps would probably be out of the question too.
K5END

Ignore
« Reply #27 on: November 05, 2009, 03:58:51 AM »

>
"But purely, only, just out of personal inquisitiveness/curiousity why are you so adement and strongly defending CB Outlaws so to speak?
IF I am wrong then please fill me in on your reasoning."

You must have carpal tunnel syndrome by now from all that typing. hihi.

I admire the diligence.

To answer your question, I am only speaking of defending my own rights as a licensed Ham.

Illegal CB'ers have no rights. They should all be tried by ordeal and burned at the stake.
K5END

Ignore
« Reply #28 on: November 05, 2009, 04:05:37 AM »

Charlie is a unique and droll troll; a court jester, class clown, ventriloquist dummy.

He's gotta be a ham, with a weird sense of humor.
N5LRZ

Ignore
« Reply #29 on: November 05, 2009, 06:38:20 AM »

Re Charlie...

That is exactly the problem...

The new hams buy all this garbage that is thrown out at them of using a hand held as a radio equal to a 60 watt or higher mobile--which it definately is not.

They spend twice as much money than they need to for an underpowered radio and expect too much both out of the radio and the Tech License.

It does not take long for the the new meat to find out that that they need a mobile more than a hand held and shell out more money on a mobile and power supply (if they have it) only to find that the Tech License and the 2 m band is a Dead End Road to nowhere.

SOME quit and drop out right then and there or get their General Class License only to find a bigger horror.  The average Factory Fresh/brand new/out of the factory box  median price radio costs at the very least 2000 for the radio alone and that does not include the tower,full size triband beam, good coax, proper rotor (which are damn expensive these days/some OVER 1000).  STICKER SHOCK.  

AND IF they buy 2nd hand they still get STICKER SHOCK when that old piece of junk breaks and they have to pay 75 or MORE dollars per hour for a repair person PLUS the price of parts PLUS the price of shipping and handling to and from.  Even a minor repair could cost well over 500 dollars once its all totaled.  AND THAT is IF the tech can get the spare part AT ALL.

The bottom line is that there are a hell of a lot of people on the US FCC list of licensed hams who have just flat out dropped out entirely for economic, job related or family related (spending a lot of money on any hobby puts financial stress on any family budget) factors.  Their licenses have just NOT YET expired for the FCC to delete their license.

SOMETIMES I think the very first question on the entry level test should be:

Do you make enough disposable income to immediately spend at the very least 10 thousand dollars or more on equipment?

Yes--good continue
No--you might want to turn in your test immediately/you are not rich enough to become a Amateur Operator.

The 2nd question would be:

Do you live in an Home Owners Association area that may restrict external antennas?

No--continue testing
Yes--turn in your test immediately because you will not legally be able to put up any kind of antnenna system worth even getting the license.

The first two questions alone would weed out those who are going to end of dropping out of Amateur Radio anyway.
Pages: Prev 1 [2] 3 4 Next   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: