Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1] 2 Next   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: KD8HJQ - Bad seller  (Read 2952 times)
WC4R

Ignore
« on: October 22, 2009, 04:32:20 PM »

Do not buy from KD8HJQ (Daniel). He sold a "working amplifier" to me for $300. It was a Clipperton V with a promise to obtain the tube. He did not refund the shipping charge difference, packed the unit poorly, it arrived without the tube and in non-working condition. Too dangerous to even plug in! It was in a flood and badly rusted. He made no attempt to disclose ANY out of the ordinary problems with the unit. I tried to send it back for a refund, he refused the package. I had to sue him in court. We'll see where it goes. Avoid Daniel Matheny!
Pics at www.wt4ra.org/kd8hjq/dentron.html
KG8YN

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: November 06, 2009, 03:08:41 AM »

DON’T DEAL WITH WC4R, JOE ROTH.  Due to his own inadequacy, he may threaten and libelously slander you on the Internet.  I know the seller of this amp, Daniel Matheny KD8HJQ.  I also know the previous owner and original purchaser Edwin Smith WB8GKV both local hams.  The amp was working but weak when Ed removed the tube and switched to a military type CX250B amp.

Ed moved the Dentron to his garage.  Daniel seen it there, and Ed gave it to him.  As Daniel said on the 7255 Wednesday ECARS trader net, “the fan blew and the lights came on”. Now this amp does not have a meter position for HV, but it didn’t blow the fuse, so I’ll bet it came up. It was a brief test, and the caps didn’t blow so they still may be reformed if none opened.  Daniel made no implication other than “AS IS”

Joe said, “It was in a flood”, “Too dangerous to even plug in”.  Well Joe, did you do an AC current leakage test, or even a simple ohmmeter test?  You said you wanted to convert it to 6 meters. Then I have to assume you are an amplifier wizard to accomplish that.  It certainly was not in a flood for the front panel and appearance as well as the bottom chassis of the amp was quite good, and there was no paint blistering.  Rust on transformer laminations is typical of damp storage, but is nothing that can’t be cured with a Dremel wire bush and black enamel paint.  Notice that the “Danger High voltage” label is still intact.

The bigger question is why would ANYONE want a Clipperton V?  Perhaps a Dentron collector that wants to put it on his shelf to admire, but it certainly not to use.  A little Internet research will tell you that the Clipperton V is on the short list of the worst amplifiers ever produced.  They had serious overheating problems at only 140 watts out, and major feedback issues with their design.  Dentron discontinued it before they went out of business.  Joe, is that the amp you wanted?

We all make mistakes at times, but it takes a real man to admit it.  Next time do your research, ask questions, and know what you’re buying.  

I see from your shack pictures you have a transceiver tuned to a 27 mhz frequency.  Perhaps that explains your mentality.
VK6NDT

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: November 06, 2009, 04:47:47 AM »

Well it looks like its in pretty sh1t condition and i would not be at all impressed if i purchased a "working" item and it looked like that. i dont blame him for not wanting to plug it in. fear of the thing having some serious issues.

in the photo's it appears to have had some major water/dew in there. im with the purchaser on this one. if the seller didnt really want to shaft someone he would have refunded the money as the product is in poor condition. weather its a "good" or "bad" amp doesnt mean crap. if you are selling dodgy items like that then expect to be bagged out!
AA4PB

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: November 06, 2009, 06:04:21 AM »

Sounds like somebody doesn't have the story straight. One says it was shipped and poorly packet. The other says it was picked up directly from the seller after being seen at his garage. If the latter is true then the buyer is on his own - he should have known better.

As usual, two sides to every story.
N5LRZ

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: November 06, 2009, 07:14:45 AM »

WELCOME to the world of 2nd hand crap.

Which is WHY I have always stated that no one should ever buy anything used.  ONLY new factory fresh equipment having a warranty should be purchased.
VK6NDT

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: November 07, 2009, 02:46:40 AM »

But then what happens if you want to upgrade? you throw you couple thousand dollar radio gear in the bin?

its like the whole ebay thing, unless you can hold it in your hot little hands and see it for your self then your taking a chance. unfortunaly this story didnt turn out so well for the buyer.
N5LRZ

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: November 07, 2009, 04:57:12 AM »

RE NDT...

re re...How can you upgrade.

Reply...

I was not aware that they changed the amp limitations from 1500 watts to a higher level.  You are going to have to inform me of the new section that did this.

WHEN purchasing a new amp always buy the biggest one you can use under the law.  THAT WAY if you take good amd proper care of the amp it will last you an entire lifetime and will be extremely inexpensive if considered amortized over say a 50 year life of use.

AS TO RADIOS, then the IRS comes to the rescue.  One can always donate their used radios to some kind of registered charity school radio club and receive in writing a document of worth.  This DONATION to the charity is deductable on a tax return under charitable donations.  Thus you get some of your money back, the amout based on the market value of the radio at that time.  NOT 100% of what you paid for it but you should be able to get a significant percentage back as a tax deduction.
VK6NDT

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: November 09, 2009, 04:31:52 AM »

"One can always donate their used radio"

Doesnt this mean someone will be getting 2nd hand gear? defeats your argument.

as the years pass by technology becomes better and people upgrade equipment.. circle of radio life.
N5LRZ

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: November 09, 2009, 01:01:43 PM »

Re NDT...

What they do with the junk I do not know as long as they give me my certificate of value to deduct off my income tax return.

I just throw all my old radios in the a storage room and forget about them.  

I make enough money from my job after living expenses to afford a new mid range radio every 5 years or so.
N5LRZ

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: November 09, 2009, 01:14:05 PM »

BUT let us get to contracts and negotiations as referenced to by the original poster.

This guy may or may not be pure scum but every purchase of used equipment carries with it the very very definate possibility of the person doing the purchase being screwed in the deal someway.

It is up to the person doing the purchasing to ask the right questions at the right time and NOT the seller to divulge voluntarily.  This is not a factory sale with a warranty attached.  The burden of proof of use lies solely with the person doing the purchasing.

And as long as the seller does not bald faced lie in statements they can 'Fluff' up the item to make the sale happen faster and if possible for more money.

Remember the world works on the two principles of GREED is GOOD and you can never have enough money.

Let the buyer beware!!!!!
CHARLIEBAKER

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: November 09, 2009, 03:57:05 PM »

WCAR you sure got a big mustashe! lol!!
CHARLIEBAKER

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: November 09, 2009, 06:05:39 PM »

how many pill is that linyer??
HAMINTENNESSEE

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: November 12, 2009, 03:49:00 AM »

Seems to me by this link of WC4R website,  http://members.cox.net/wc4r/MyStation.html
that he is in possession of an illegal RANGER RCI-2980 which the fcc has dubbed an illegal radio and directly above that is a illegal TEXAS STAR CB AMPLIFIER. I think the fcc need this link.
WB5JEO

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: November 12, 2009, 06:44:03 PM »

Not quite that simple. The relevant federal law addresses manufacture, sale, import, ship, etc. Such radios are not, per se, contraband, and as we know, amateur use does not require certification. Since the relevant regulation appears in Part 95, a reasonable reading is that the prohibition against actual use applies to Part 95 services, including CB. Part 97 includes no certification requirements except in a limited way for some manufactured amplifiers, and there is no mention of use, and even those may be freely modified away from certified form by amateurs.

The FCC has no interest in particular equipment used in the amateur service, other than the actual emissions not violating a regulation. For an example in the other direction, many amateurs own and use transmitters capable of operation on frequencies reserved for any number of other services, and they violate no regulations by owning them and using them in the amateur service. And the fact that many amateur transmitters can be modified with the clip of a wire to operate outside of amateur bands in no way makes them illegal to sell or import. That same capability to be modified with a single snip is exactly what caused the FCC to "outlaw" those "10-meter" transmitters on the list, because they are marketed with a clear intent to be used illegally. It's nonsensical to imagine that it's illegal for a ham to use, in amateur service, one radio capable of operating on 11-meters and not another. It is arguably foolish for an amateur encourage a market for illegal imports by buying one, but it's not illegal. But I'll bet that if someone offered you an IC-78 for free, or you found one cheap in government surplus, you'd take it and use it.
HAMINTENNESSEE

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: November 12, 2009, 08:08:00 PM »

read this link. i think you might change ur statement.

http://swap.qth.com/fcc/fcc-cbtable2.htm
Pages: [1] 2 Next   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: